Decent Pay, but company as a whole is old school

Former Employee - Catalog Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Catalog Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Genuine Parts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Calm work environment and open communication

Cons

Upper management not involved in all aspects of business

Other Reviews for Genuine Parts

I Have Nightmares That I Still Work There

Former Employee - Purchasing Agent  in  Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Purchasing Agent in Naperville, IL

I worked at Genuine Parts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Your nine bosses typically stay out of your way and are too timid to communicate vital updates or resolve personnel issues. This allows one to surf the internet, relax on IM with friends, or read e-books all day. Another pro was getting to meet so many people. The turnover in my dept. was so high that many were surprised I stayed through lunch my first day. Lastly, the job was so redundant and simple that an idiot could do it - and that's exactly who you'll be surrounded by in your department.

Cons

The largest con was the dread I faced every morning knowing that I'd have to endure one more day of the mundane at a laughably bad salary. I still have recurring nightmares, you know the one's where they seem "real," where I still work there and wake up in a panic. I will likely face these nightmares the rest of my life. There were so many rules. Employees would be "disciplined" for leaving their desks too often. Lastly, the company uses outdated methodology, procedures, and technology, and flat out pretends revitalization or progressive thought exists.

Please realize how low you pay compared to the industry averages. Please realize that your employees want to give more but will not if there is not a willingness to challenge those employees or offer them more than the hopes of a free turkey at Thanksgiving.

Large company operated as if it is a small private company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Genuine Parts

Pros

If one is a worker bee who is has a high degree of self-efficacy, this is a good fit.

Cons

Ineffective job aligning with GAAP at the subsystem level. Could run more efficiently and add value to its stakeholders if it instituted consistent policies, procedures and guidelines across functional areas.

For the past two years, there has been a higher than average turnover. There appears to be a disconnect between organizational strategy and the subsystem management. Change is being touted; however, the words and actions are not in sync. Lower level management is not empowered nor have the lattitude to manage effectively and innovation does not appear to be valued. This appears to be an organization that is unsure of its organizaitonal identity.

Susbystem management does not inspire trust in employees, as if management itself is unsure of the direction of the company or unsure of how to align the subsystem with the strategic direction of the company.

Employee morale is extremely low and at atmosphere of distrust and uncertainty exists. HR and management at the subsystem level inspires an "us" against "them" dynamic Subsystem management appears to be inept at developing and keeping good people. The subsystem appears to have difficulty quantifying production and attributing weights.

Bring in process improvement expertise, invest in updating technology, bring transactional operations into the current decade (value innovation). Invest in management who have the technical aptitude and capabilities but also the soft skills that facilitate developing people.

There are newer employer reviews for Genuine Parts.

Worked for Genuine Parts? Contribute to the Community!