There are newer employer reviews for Genuine Parts

I Have Nightmares That I Still Work There

Former Employee - Purchasing Agent in Naperville, IL
Former Employee - Purchasing Agent in Naperville, IL

I worked at Genuine Parts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Your nine bosses typically stay out of your way and are too timid to communicate vital updates or resolve personnel issues. This allows one to surf the internet, relax on IM with friends, or read e-books all day. Another pro was getting to meet so many people. The turnover in my dept. was so high that many were surprised I stayed through lunch my first day. Lastly, the job was so redundant and simple that an idiot could do it - and that's exactly who you'll be surrounded by in your department.

Cons

The largest con was the dread I faced every morning knowing that I'd have to endure one more day of the mundane at a laughably bad salary. I still have recurring nightmares, you know the one's where they seem "real," where I still work there and wake up in a panic. I will likely face these nightmares the rest of my life. There were so many rules. Employees would be "disciplined" for leaving their desks too often. Lastly, the company uses outdated methodology, procedures, and technology, and flat out pretends revitalization or progressive thought exists.

Please realize how low you pay compared to the industry averages. Please realize that your employees want to give more but will not if there is not a willingness to challenge those employees or offer them more than the hopes of a free turkey at Thanksgiving.

reviews filtered by
  1. Large company operated as if it is a small private company.

I worked at Genuine Parts

Pros

If one is a worker bee who is has a high degree of self-efficacy, this is a good fit.

Cons

Ineffective job aligning with GAAP at the subsystem level. Could run more efficiently and add value to its stakeholders if it instituted consistent policies, procedures and guidelines across functional areas.

For the past two years, there has been a higher than average turnover. There appears to be a disconnect between organizational strategy and the subsystem management. Change is being touted; however, the words and actions are not in sync. Lower level management is not empowered nor have the lattitude to manage effectively and innovation does not appear to be valued. This appears to be an organization that is unsure of its organizaitonal identity.

Susbystem management does not inspire trust in employees, as if management itself is unsure of the direction of the company or unsure of how to align the subsystem with the strategic direction of the company.

Employee morale is extremely low and at atmosphere of distrust and uncertainty exists. HR and management at the subsystem level inspires an "us" against "them" dynamic Subsystem management appears to be inept at developing and keeping good people. The subsystem appears to have difficulty quantifying production and attributing weights.

Bring in process improvement expertise, invest in updating technology, bring transactional operations into the current decade (value innovation). Invest in management who have the technical aptitude and capabilities but also the soft skills that facilitate developing people.

Proud to have been an employee

I worked at Genuine Parts

Pros

Family atmosphere
    Long career opportunity
    History in marketplace and reputation
    Financially stable

Cons

Too many band aids on systems
    Will talk the talk about changing or adapting to market, won't walk the walk
    Lack of respect and unwillingness to consider new ideas around strategy
    Lack of communication about opportunities

Continue to be who GPC is, a strong competitor with employees who love the company, it's history. Embrace change as a way to maintain position and grow.

There are newer employer reviews for Genuine Parts