There are newer employer reviews for Genworth Financial

Great people, management is turning over - hopefully for the better.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Genworth Financial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most of the employees I work with a good, solid, smart and engaging. Benefits are good, one of the best paid employers in the Richmond area.

Cons

This company has been in flux since the financial crisis in 2008. Some months it feels like we are headed in the right direction, others, not so much.

Advice to Management

Pick a track and stick with it, this company could be one of the greats - the talent is there it just needs the right direction without all of the distractions and pet projects.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Account Manager

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Genworth Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexablity, fair compensation, commitment from sr management to be competitive in the market

Cons

Don't win every deal but where do you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

Future remains in Doubt

Current Employee - Client Service and Sales in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Client Service and Sales in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Genworth Financial full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some vestige of former prestige remains. This was a company that fought above its weight class and could be the turnaround story of the decade. Some flexibility in certain roles. Some areas and departments have managers that care deeply about their team.

Cons

This has been a fragmented and confused businesses since mid-2006. Once the wheels came off the bus with the recession, things got bad. While this was true across the industry it was especially bad for Genworth as the company was exposed to financial services in wealth management and insurance/risk products; as well, they had significant exposure in housing. A real double whammy.

As the business began to recover, a senior leader was brought that inevitably has caused significant harm to part of the insurance business. Definitively, he lied to associates and national clients. He "moved on" a few months after things went very bad -- you can connect the dots. While I hope things get fixed, we currently have people running parts of the business with little to no experience - real amateurs.

Several long term leaders that were trusted and liked were run out of the business in the last 2 years. There is no trust with much of the functional front line leadership.

Advice to Management

I do not think they would listen. We do regular internal surveys which produce no action.