There are newer employer reviews for Genzyme

Well technically qualified managment but least appreciative

Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Waltham, MA
Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Genzyme

Pros

Sr. Management qualified and smart.
Good resources.
Good team work b/w dept

Cons

Sr. Management does not respect junior scientist.
They are least appreciative of their work.

Improve communication.

192 Other Employee Reviews for Genzyme (View Most Recent)

Not worth the frustration....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Genzyme

Pros

Not many:
    Got a few years of good experience until the politics kicked in
    Lucky to have direct supervisors who were talented, respectful and put time into my career development
    NB: this is not common here at all

Cons

Where to start.....
    1. It's a "you should pay us to work here" attitude
    2. Patronizing upper management
    3. HR is very disrespectful - while internally interviewing was questioned on the motive my career change, specifically that I didn't do enough to show interest in the potential career change; this is after speaking, researching and building relationships in the department/field of interest, taking continuing ed and earning a MS degree in the field. (HR was aware of all the prep work) When asked what else I need to do was told: "that's for you to figure out".
    4. People are not hired or promoted based on qualifications, background education etc. but simply how long you've hung around...how does someone with nothing past a high school degree get into managing corporate development activities when MBAs and the like aren't even considered for the position?
    5. I was made to wait 20+ minutes for my exit interview at 5:00 PM on a Friday while the HR rep chatted about her dinner the previous evening with a co-worker (was seated within ear shot of the entire conversation). No apology or anything for the wait - completely unprofessional.
    6. And to continue with the unprofessionalism - during the exit interview was told since I took part in the tuition reimbursement program (completed the last class more than a year previous to leaving the company as the policy states the employee must stay at least 6 months after completing the last class) I should consider staying longer for "moral reasons". After politely pointing out I had fulfilled all tuition reimbursement requirements, she replied: well if you feel comfortable taking advantage of the company that's your own moral issue" - REALLY! please tell me who took advantage of who? after following the policy to a "T" and had above average performance reviews for the many years of employment, this is the treatment on the way out?

Look at some other companies down the street, they get it - you don't.

Good place to work until the acquisition by Sanofi.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Genzyme

Pros

Good place to work until the acquisition by Sanofi.

Cons

The communication seems to be lacking since the acquisition and there is to much uncertainty. The integration decisions are taking more time than would be optimal.

Better communicate game plan and move more swiftly with the integration efforts

There are newer employer reviews for Genzyme