Genzyme

www.genzyme.com

Prior to Sanofi's acquisition, Genzyme was a great company.

Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

Pros1) A Global presence where you meet colleagues from all over the world.
2) Many talents and nice people to work with - it had a family feel to it.
3) Fantastic benefits.
4) Innovative and former CEO was a visionary.

Cons1) Salary for administrative assistants could be better - it should not be limited to just the title level but it should be based on the boss'/admin job responsibility. For example, because my boss was not a corporate officer, eventhough he was an executive, my job grade level could not be adjusted and I was not compensated at the executive admin level.
2) Overtime was a real issue where my boss would not approve eventhough he knew I was working into the early/late hours. Supporting an executive is not a 40 hour week (generally I work an average of 50-60 hour week), my boss doesn't take into consideration that I put in the extra hours to ensure that the work gets done.
3) Great administrative assistants are not appreciated and are generally under-compensated. Our job is no longer just answering the phone. Today, admins do multiple functions and generally the boss depends on us. We are more coordinators than just an admin.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be more transparency with the leadership at Genzyme. They need to follow-through with what they communicate to the employees and not just talk about it. All managers should be required to take an emotional intelligence course and learn to be more understanding of people at all levels. Managers need to prove they can do their job instead of thinking only about promotions and corner office - worst ones are the newbies that are just coming on board. Ten years ago, Genzyme never had this mindset - everyone worked well together for the common goods of the company, that is patients come first, now it is all about titles, salaries, and corner offices.

Company as a whole has declined

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Framingham, MA

I have been working at Genzyme

Pros: Health and 401k benefits are pretty good Salary is at or… Cons: The company has gotten too big and has not been able to adapt. There are very little opportunities within finance to be promoted or… Advice to Senior Management: Pay attention to what your employees are telling you. Respect… More

Used to be a great place to work. Now, not so much.

Staff Scientist (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

I have been working at Genzyme

Pros: Looks good on the resume. The science is interesting and challenging. Pay is… Cons: Huge amount of uncertainty since acquisition by Sanofi. Management has very little respect for employees and tell us we're just luck y… Advice to Senior Management: Treat your employees better. Just because you're worried about losing… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Genzyme.

Worked for Genzyme? Contribute to the Community!