There are newer employer reviews for Genzyme

Prior to Sanofi's acquisition, Genzyme was a great company.

Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Cambridge, MA
Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Genzyme

Pros

1) A Global presence where you meet colleagues from all over the world. 2) Many talents and nice people to work with - it had a family feel to it. 3) Fantastic benefits. 4) Innovative and former CEO was a visionary.

Cons

1) Salary for administrative assistants could be better - it should not be limited to just the title level but it should be based on the boss'/admin job responsibility. For example, because my boss was not a corporate officer, eventhough he was an executive, my job grade level could not be adjusted and I was not compensated at the executive admin level. 2) Overtime was a real issue where my boss would not approve eventhough he knew I was working into the early/late hours. Supporting an executive is not a 40 hour week (generally I work an average of 50-60 hour week), my boss doesn't take into consideration that I put in the extra hours to ensure that the work gets done. 3) Great administrative assistants are not appreciated and are generally under-compensated. Our job is no longer just answering the phone. Today, admins do multiple functions and generally the boss depends on us. We are more coordinators than just an admin.

Advice to Management

There should be more transparency with the leadership at Genzyme. They need to follow-through with what they communicate to the employees and not just talk about it. All managers should be required to take an emotional intelligence course and learn to be more understanding of people at all levels. Managers need to prove they can do their job instead of thinking only about promotions and corner office - worst ones are the newbies that are just coming on board. Ten years ago, Genzyme never had this mindset - everyone worked well together for the common goods of the company, that is patients come first, now it is all about titles, salaries, and corner offices.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Company as a whole has declined

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Genzyme

Pros

Health and 401k benefits are pretty good Salary is at or above average Time off is also at or above average

Cons

The company has gotten too big and has not been able to adapt. There are very little opportunities within finance to be promoted or advance in your career. Being told to look outside the company for a better career opportunity is not always something you want to hear as an employee.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what your employees are telling you. Respect people's time in meetings. Provide more opportunities for career advancement.

Used to be a great place to work. Now, not so much.

Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Genzyme

Pros

Looks good on the resume. The science is interesting and challenging. Pay is OK, benefits are pretty good, though they are still not aligned with what Sanofi employees get.

Cons

Huge amount of uncertainty since acquisition by Sanofi. Management has very little respect for employees and tell us we're just luck y to have a job. So many rumors, no real information. Standards vary greatly from department to department, especially regarding responsibilities and promotions.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. Just because you're worried about losing your job doesn't give you license to treat your employees like garbage.