Good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Genzyme

Pros

Team environment and leaders were encouraging

Cons

Can improve in functionality and effectiveness

Advice to Management

Neutral

reviews filtered by

All good things must come to an end.

Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Genzyme

Pros

It's a job. Not something to take for granted in this economy.

Cons

No longer independent. Best days behind it.

Advice to Management

Forget about preserving Genzyme's old culture. It's over. Focus on the future, so you can avoid the slow death of other acquisition targets, if possible.

Prior to Sanofi's acquisition, Genzyme was a great company.

Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Genzyme

Pros

1) A Global presence where you meet colleagues from all over the world.
    2) Many talents and nice people to work with - it had a family feel to it.
    3) Fantastic benefits.
    4) Innovative and former CEO was a visionary.

Cons

1) Salary for administrative assistants could be better - it should not be limited to just the title level but it should be based on the boss'/admin job responsibility. For example, because my boss was not a corporate officer, eventhough he was an executive, my job grade level could not be adjusted and I was not compensated at the executive admin level.
    2) Overtime was a real issue where my boss would not approve eventhough he knew I was working into the early/late hours. Supporting an executive is not a 40 hour week (generally I work an average of 50-60 hour week), my boss doesn't take into consideration that I put in the extra hours to ensure that the work gets done.
    3) Great administrative assistants are not appreciated and are generally under-compensated. Our job is no longer just answering the phone. Today, admins do multiple functions and generally the boss depends on us. We are more coordinators than just an admin.

Advice to Management

There should be more transparency with the leadership at Genzyme. They need to follow-through with what they communicate to the employees and not just talk about it. All managers should be required to take an emotional intelligence course and learn to be more understanding of people at all levels. Managers need to prove they can do their job instead of thinking only about promotions and corner office - worst ones are the newbies that are just coming on board. Ten years ago, Genzyme never had this mindset - everyone worked well together for the common goods of the company, that is patients come first, now it is all about titles, salaries, and corner offices.