There are newer employer reviews for Genzyme

A good place to start

Current Employee - Quality Control Analyst I  in  Framingham, MA
Current Employee - Quality Control Analyst I in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Genzyme full-time for less than a year

Pros

-The hourly rate is pretty good for the work that is expected.
-They have a blank check policy when it comes to overtime, so there is potential to make a lot more money than just the base.
-The job provides the opportunity to learn various different scientific assays and skills.
-This is a great "foot in the door" job; after a year, an analyst I may choose to move up to many different departments in the company.

Cons

-As with any Quality Control job, the work is very repetitive and tedious. There is very little happiness in the lab on a day to day basis. Mix the repetitive nature of the work with the stifling scrutiny of a GMP environment, and you have a truly boring, unfulfilling job.
-While overtime is not legally required, it may as well be. While the money is nice, there are some weeks of twelve hour days that I wish I had back, despite how big the check at the end may be.
-The lab is overmanaged. Management is comprised of between thirteen to fifteen people, so if you make a mistake, you hear about it from all angles. Conversely, of the thirteen to fifteen managers/supervisors, only about two to three of them are in the lab with any regularity; the rest seem to live at their offices which are on the other side of the complex from the lab. At times it can be difficult to find someone to ask a question.

Station supervisors in the lab, rather than their offices. Hire more analysts rather than demanding so much overtime.

187 Other Employee Reviews for Genzyme (View Most Recent)

A positive experience with regard to the respect and encouragement shown by management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Genzyme

Pros

They are a well-run organization with open communication between departments. They are community-minded and very fair to their employees. Compensation very satisfactory.

Cons

Much of the work that I spent a lot of time on involved creating usables that were never used by the target audience.

Improve your communication to the employees involving pending decisions, and company direction. There was much confusion and anxiety in my last days there.

Genzyme used to be a great place to work

Current Employee - IT Support  in  Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - IT Support in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Genzyme

Pros

Making a difference in patient's lives

Cons

Lack of management leadership; managers focus all their energies in managing up and not managing their employees reporting to them.

Need to hire managers that inspire their people and their professional development.

There are newer employer reviews for Genzyme

Worked for Genzyme? Contribute to the Community!