Genzyme

www.genzyme.com
  www.genzyme.com
There are newer employer reviews for Genzyme

This is not the same company it was even a couple of years ago. It's a sad place to work.

Current Employee - Medical Writer in Cambridge, MA
Current Employee - Medical Writer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Genzyme full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The science is interesting, the diseases being researched are in need of dedicated teams to create solutions, and the people who are left (after the acquisition by Sanofi) are really super.

Cons

That being said, those people are leaving in droves, and the new parent company is totally focused on the bottom line, not what makes sense for patients, and certainly not what makes sense for the employees. There is no recognition by Sanofi that Genzyme employees made Genzyme what it was, and the loss of talent in the past several months is staggering!

203 Other Employee Reviews for Genzyme (View Most Recent)

Keeps you very busy at work.

Current Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Genzyme full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great company culture. Everyone bands together for a common goal.

Cons

Currently going through change. The lack of consistency can be frustrating.

A good place to start

Current Employee - Quality Control Analyst I in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Quality Control Analyst I in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Genzyme full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-The hourly rate is pretty good for the work that is expected.
    -They have a blank check policy when it comes to overtime, so there is potential to make a lot more money than just the base.
    -The job provides the opportunity to learn various different scientific assays and skills.
    -This is a great "foot in the door" job; after a year, an analyst I may choose to move up to many different departments in the company.

Cons

-As with any Quality Control job, the work is very repetitive and tedious. There is very little happiness in the lab on a day to day basis. Mix the repetitive nature of the work with the stifling scrutiny of a GMP environment, and you have a truly boring, unfulfilling job.
    -While overtime is not legally required, it may as well be. While the money is nice, there are some weeks of twelve hour days that I wish I had back, despite how big the check at the end may be.
    -The lab is overmanaged. Management is comprised of between thirteen to fifteen people, so if you make a mistake, you hear about it from all angles. Conversely, of the thirteen to fifteen managers/supervisors, only about two to three of them are in the lab with any regularity; the rest seem to live at their offices which are on the other side of the complex from the lab. At times it can be difficult to find someone to ask a question.

Station supervisors in the lab, rather than their offices. Hire more analysts rather than demanding so much overtime.

There are newer employer reviews for Genzyme