Genzyme

www.genzyme.com
  www.genzyme.com
There are newer employer reviews for Genzyme

strange culture and environment

I have been working at Genzyme full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart, motivated people; good products

Cons

The Allston Landing manufacturing facility has a problematic history. The result is a strange culture, which simultaneously wants to change but is deeply entrenched. Bureaucratic bottlenecks prevent obvious improvements from being made.

204 Other Employee Reviews for Genzyme (View Most Recent)

A Place Where Accountability Is Non-Existent For Certain Individuals.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allston, MA

I worked at Genzyme as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Most of the people that work there are younger and are therefore more in tune with what's happening outside of the walls of the Genzyme (ALF), leading to a fun work environment.

Also, upper management isn't bad, they are actually really nice, but are oblivious when it comes to how much damage certain department mangers/supervisors are causing to employee morale.

Cons

At least in the department where I worked, it was very "clicky," the facility is staffed 24/7/365, which is divided into shifts (1st. 2nd, 3rd Weekday | 1st, 2nd, 3rd Weekend). This, along with ineffective management, led to a very clear separation between all shifts, which led to each shift blaming the previous, or following shift for whatever went wrong in the lab.
    Also, if you are sensitive about race, at all, be warned! There is a clear division between minorities (who dominate the odd and weekend shifts) and whites (who are all on regular business hours, with the exception of a few... which I can count with a single hand.)

Get rid of the bad managers!!!!! I can't stress this enough!!!! The same people that got this facility into consent decree are the same individuals making the decisions about the future of the facility!!!

Seriously, how many times does a manager have to fail "in-house" validation projects before you stop them from managing these projects!!?? (I guess more than 2x)

Literally I have nothing bad to say about the workers, but managers/supervisors allow certain individuals to get away with murder, while blaming other people/shifts for their own mistakes. (Again, this is because managers/supervisors pick favorites, and when I mean favorites, I mean like they let certain workers step all over them so that they can be considered "cool.")

Get a team of managers that really knows what it means to be a team! If they did this place would have been a wonderful place to work, where people dedicate themselves and produce the best results. (Because the majority of workers are extremely dedicated to their work).

The worse part is that the bad seeds in this department aren't many, but they somehow have a lot of pull with certain individuals with upper management.

Many changes with Sanofi partnerships

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Genzyme full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with for the most part

Cons

Extremely long working ours during many parts of the year

Communicate, plan and parse to-do's through year rather than all at once

There are newer employer reviews for Genzyme