GeoEye

Rude coworkers, wanted to quit from day 1

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thornton, CO
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thornton, CO

I worked at GeoEye

Pros

Great benefits, and 4 weeks paid vacation starts from day 1. Good coffee and the free Advil were nice. Looking at the imagery was cool. They use remote sensing software that will look good on a resume and maybe help you get a better job. This was the first job I had where HR was friendly and wanted you to be happy - too bad my 4 bosses didn't care. The company itself was not bad, just the department I was in.

Cons

Rude coworkers, it was like being back in middle school - absolutely everyone talked behind the back of absolutely everyone. There was not a team atmosphere. If I asked 5 coworkers the same question I'd get 5 different answers. Management was poor and mostly absent. A pretty cold place. I never felt welcome there. The bosses didn't have a clue about how the work was accomplished, and couldn't be used as a resource. There was no motivating of employees to work hard from the higher-ups, so if you wanted to talk s*** or sit on the internet for 8 hours no one stopped you. And once you see those internet sitters and s*** talkers get promoted, what's the point of working hard?

Create a professional, team-oriented working environment. Show respect to each other, show respect to those under you, and maybe those rude coworkers will eventually show respect to each other. A department-wide course on basic politeness couldn't hurt. Stop promoting people who don't want to work. Block Facebook and sports websites access.

26 Other Employee Reviews for GeoEye (View Most Recent)

Wake up and pay your low lvel techies market rate (I'm not 1)

Current Employee - Chief Bottle Washer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Chief Bottle Washer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at GeoEye

Pros

Flexable work time.
    G8 health ins. they actually pay when your sick and cover many doc.'s hospital ect.
    Good 401k plan Matching upto 4% and the investment choices are mostly good reputable mutual funds.

Cons

Location, St Louis is inexpensive but utterly uninspiring.
    Lots of overtime diring lauch windows (I'm on salary)
    The left hand at times subverts the right hand and vise versa.
    Compensation of higher level people is pretty good but the lower-entery level people are paid so little that they leave after 6months to a year (just enough time that you really get them productive). They find out they can get a 60% salary increase acroos town.

Listen to the tech people. Eliminate the heat ticket system.
    Reduce Thortons attempted take over of the corperate culture, they were sold as a dieing comany rife with customer disatifaction and "big aerospace" problems.

Good Company

I have been working at GeoEye full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible with time, interesting work, good compensation and benefits. Smart and friendly workforce.

Cons

Directors and Managers with no Project Management experience leading projects.

Communication is key.