Geographic Solutions

www.geosolinc.com
  www.geosolinc.com
There are newer employer reviews for Geographic Solutions

Hardly a sinking ship - much the opposite in my opinion

Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Palm Harbor, FL
Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Palm Harbor, FL

I have been working at Geographic Solutions

Pros

I just came across this site and I must say that I am stunned and embarrassed by the insulting comments some of my current co-workers have posted about GeoSol. I have been here for long enough to know that this is the best place I have ever worked. I have already made several friends here at work and I do value my job and the pay is fair for the experience I have in programming and I do like the various benefits that are offered, like PTO and casual dress and different events that are held (lunches, parties)

We do have alot of projects ongoing and some late hours that come with being a programmer, but for someone to say this is a sinking ship is just not right and it actually demeans the hard work that me and my teammates and other departments do each day. I am glad that we have alot of work to do here, because my last company went belly-up due to the economy and i don't want to re-live that feeling again.

The comments about getting your email looked at? Maybe this wouldn't happen if these gripers actually worked all day instead of standing around in the parking lot and gossiping and putting the company down all the time. No one from management or HR has ever said anything to me about that kind of stuff.

I really enjoy my teammates and most everyone is understanding that we have rough patches but the owner is fair and approachable and has been doing things to improve the morale.

Cons

We have alot of different versions of the software and we need to get some better handle on how the processes evolve to clean up our development. There are times when we find out right before we are supposed to leave that we have to stay and do extra work, which hopefully won't happen as much in the future if the processes get fixed.

It seems like Management is now thinking about new ideas to make our work life better, such as different work schedules and better ways we can improve the software and the processes. So I would say keep that up and things will get even better. I do like it here and hope to stay at geosol for a long time.

27 Other Employee Reviews for Geographic Solutions (View Most Recent)

The Facts on Benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Harbor, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Harbor, FL

I have been working at Geographic Solutions

Pros

Here are the benefits currently provided by Geographic Solutions:

Geographic Solutions pays 100% of an employee’s health insurance. Only 14 companies on this year's Fortune “100 Best Companies to Work For” list pay 100% of their employees' health-care premiums.

Geographic Solutions primary health insurance is currently a PPO plan. This also includes a small Life Insurance policy. Other health insurance options are available.

Geographic Solutions provides a cafeteria plan of additional benefits such as dental, vision, gym membership etc.

Geographic Solutions has provided an employer match to their 401k plan every year since I have worked at the company.

Employees initially receive 20 paid days off per year (Holidays/ PTO). Average in the US is 14 days for less than 1 year of service.

After 3 years of service paid days off are increased to 32 days. Average in the US is 18 days for 3 years of service.

Paid Time Off days do not expire and can be cashed in if not used.

Telework program is available (1-2 days per month) .

Cons

Geographic Solutions pays 25 percent of the employee’s health care insurance costs for additional family members and dependents. Employee premium is paid at 100 percent.

Keep the benefits package as flexible and competitive as possible as this is important to many of the employees in the organization.

Developer Sweatshop

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Harbor, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Harbor, FL

I worked at Geographic Solutions

Pros

The best thing about Geographic Solutions is that there is no dress code. I wore shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops the whole time I worked there. Only when there are visitors do you have to dress up.

Cons

You don't get a chance to do a good job here. The emphasis is on quantity and speed: get as many things done as quickly as possible. There is tons of spaghetti code and the software is always breaking, so you are always fixing things. There were 5 development managers while I was employed there and none of them were able to change the way things are done because the owner just pushes for faster/more. QA can't test fast enough, so changes aren't fully tested and then development gets blamed. The best thing I ever did there was leave.

Put an emphasis on quality instead of quantity. Hire some real project managers and put a true SDLC in place.

There are newer employer reviews for Geographic Solutions