Top University to Work for in Student Affairs

Former Employee - Assistant Director  in  Fairfax, VA
Former Employee - Assistant Director in Fairfax, VA

I worked at George Mason University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great colleagues, open to innovation and creativity in your work, students are bright and fun to work with, opportunity for professional development, opportunity to be promoted, upper administration is willing to be mentors, new president is very transparent and connected to social media, overall best college/university I have ever worked for to date

Cons

If you are not open to change and/or flexible this might not be the place for you, just appointed a new president Angel Cabrera so there could be changes in administration, strategic planning, direction of the university that may be challenging, there are multiple campuses so you may be asked to work on one or more depending on your role that could be a challenge, overall I did not find many cons but I am listing things that might be for those looking to work at Mason

Other Reviews for George Mason University

This opportunity helped me build my resume more strongly.

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at George Mason University part-time for less than a year

Pros

+ Nice enviornment
    + Many facilities

Cons

+ Low income
    + Less group meeting than expected
    + Individual life

+ Try to make students mingle more to come up with new ideas

Undervalued and Underpaid

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at George Mason University as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Other adjunct faculty colleagues are good people to work with. Facilities are excellent.

Cons

Administration and Dept. Chairs are out of touch and only seem to care about numbers over the quality of education. Student evaluations reign supreme in measuring faculty performance, resulting in a serious grade inflation problem in some departments, especially the SOA.

Parking is a joke. Expensive and not enough of it. When the circus comes to town they take a good amount of parking away for weeks to accommodate circus trailers.

Pay your part-time faculty a fair wage and offer them some benefits - In a word, "value" them. Measure you faculty's performance by what their student's learn as opposed to "whether they liked the class or not". Stop turning education into a "shopping" experience and keep it a "learning" experience.

There are newer employer reviews for George Mason University.

Worked for George Mason University? Contribute to the Community!