There are newer employer reviews for George P. Johnson

GPJ Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at George P. Johnson

Pros

The people and the benefits and flexibility

Cons

Lack of leadership
No bench strength
Underpaid
Too much paperwork, process-old school
Production mentality
Not enough creative thinking
Lack of collaboration between offices

Invest in your people
Give them the tools to carve their own career paths
Streamline processes
Think about a pay for performance model so employees have real ownership in the success of their clients

53 Other Employee Reviews for George P. Johnson (View Most Recent)

Nice place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

I worked at George P. Johnson

Pros

Everyone is nice and works as a team to get the job done. Management is flexible in balancing home/work life.

Cons

When working on any type of event, it can get crazy at times. Weeks leading up to the event are very stressful and you are expected to work 24/7 to get the job done and make the client happy. However, this is the nature of the business. Some employees put into leadership positions really do not know how to manage people and can make the work environment a little negative with their attitude. You are expected to bend over and do anything for the client, even if it may not be in the best interest for GPJ and might affect the bottom line.

Management should look a little closer at who they are putting in leadership roles and whether or not they truly can manage a team and motivate employees. This can really make or break an event. A negative, condescending person in a management position fosters negative attitudes.

Great fun in a Golden Era

Former Employee - Producer in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Producer in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at George P. Johnson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I had an awesome time at GPJ over the 6 years I was there. Great culture, great people, amazing clients and fun events. They worked hard and they played hard. I am blessed to have many friends from my time at GPJ.

Cons

OK pay, but you need to negotiate high going into the business because it's rare the big pay rises will happen. The only time I had a significant pay rise was being counter offered after a job offer from a competitor. There wasn't much focus on training and development of staff, and as a result people sadly moved away. Senior Management politics were at play about the time I was leaving which led to very low morale.

Value and invest in your people. Value them by saying thank you and tell them when they have done a good job.

There are newer employer reviews for George P. Johnson