George Street Photo & Video

www.georgestreetphoto.com
Engaged Employer
There are newer employer reviews for George Street Photo & Video

Better - Smarter - Shooting for George Street Photo & Video makes my life simpler.

Current Contractor - Lead Photographer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at George Street Photo & Video as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

George Street has come up with a better system that allows everyone to focus on doing what they love. People who are gifted in customer service get to focus on that, editors focus on making videos/photos look their best, and wedding photographers get to focus on what they love - SHOOTING. No sales meetings, no marketing, no post production, etc. Flexible - They work around my schedule, via a convenient online calendar. All I have to do is mark dates accurately, and bookings come rolling in! Support -The Assignment Team dedicates their time and energy into making sure photographers and videographers have everything they need to do their job well. It's like a family! Great talent pool - only 1% of applicants become GS photogs. I've met so many awesome industry connections! Communication - They have open ears. If I have a concern, question, idea, worry, whatever, I can talk about it like an adult with a team who is interested in what I have to say. Passion - They have high standards. In their people, their service, and their product delivered. In the end, they really do care about what they are doing. Freelancers - Great for photojournalists who want more jobs without the hundreds of hours of extra work. When you calculate all that goes into working on your own with a personal client, GS is a very valuable resource for photographers who want to add to their booking schedule. Technology - They are always improving systems, and researching new tools. I get to upload my images right from home the next day after the shoot. Portfolio - I can use images I shoot with George Street for my own portfolio and promo! I've never worked with a studio that allows that.

Cons

If you are not passionate about wedding photography, this company probably isn't a good fit. What will help you excel with GS: Personality, promptness, professionalism. If you regularly leave emails in your inbox unopened, or you aren't prompt to a shoot start time, this probably won't work for you. Also, they expect photographers to act like professionals - aim for proper exposure, time sync your cameras, and all the other things that pro wedding photographers should be used to doing. And most of all, if you have an issue, talk to your team. Communication is key!

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Factory style High Volume wedding photography

Current Contractor - Lead Photographer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at George Street Photo & Video as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

They book a lot of weddings. So if you have a good portfolio, you can fill your calendar.

Cons

LOW pay for seasoned pros. When you have over a decade of experience and over $10k invested in equipment, it's disheartening to make $450 on a 10 hour wedding. Especially when you consider all the time you've put into the gig, prewedding phone calls, filling out pre-event & post event review forms, gear prep, converting RAW files to jpeg then uploading images & waiting 2 weeks for a check. Often times jobs are a bit of haul (with gas over $4 gallon, it adds up) and you only get reimbursed mileage if it's over 100 miles :-/ You get penalized for everything, you have to take a photo of the computer screen to prove you time-synced your camera or they'll penalize you $30 bucks, you have to upload your images the day after the wedding which clogs up your internet line for two days, make sure they're all uploaded within 3 days or they penalize you $50 bucks, respond to & set up engagement requests within 24 hours or again, penalized $50 bucks! They require you to have backdrop/strobes, etc. They're quick on the penalties but never, ever, ever reward you for going beyond the call of duty. I got repeat clientele for them, multiple rave reviews posted online. No recognition for doing great, it's just expected. But make one mistake and your tiny little check starts getting cut into.

Advice to Management

Show appreciation when a photographer has exceeded your clients' expectations. Give bonuses when you book referrals based on the photographer's great work. A revolving door of mediocre photographers can't possibly be better than a long-term, solid, reliable team.

Feels more like a family than a workplace.

Current Employee - Internal Communications in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Internal Communications in Chicago, IL

I have been working at George Street Photo & Video full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was able to start as an intern, learn new things, and develop my skills into a full-time position. I was always impressed by the high standards, innovation, and talent that I saw in my team. If you are hard-working and passionate about your skills, GS might be a good fit. Whenever I had problems or concerns management and HR were happy to listen and help. The overall aim towards doing things smarter and better is very important to me in a workplace. From our HQ team to our Field team, lots of intelligent and creative people here!

Cons

During busy season, as with any wedding-related company, workloads can get intense and stress is high. The monthly happy hours help take the edge off :)

Advice to Management

Keep improving internal communications and listening to your team members and clients and there are no limits to what we can achieve.