Georgia Aquarium

www.georgiaaquarium.org

Fun and never boring

Current Employee - Overnight Specialist  in  Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Overnight Specialist in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Awesome team members who make every shift fun. Overnights are great...you show up on Sat night and leave Sunday morning getting paid for a full 17.5 hr shift (they even pay you while you get a few hours of sleep squeezed in). My bosses are energetic and make the time go by. They are vey understanding when something happens in our personal lives. We are truly a team.

Cons

I am a seasonal employee....so, that means no benefits for me :0( But, other than that....I can't complain much.

Give new team members an email that lists suggested items to bring on their first shift. I had no idea how much I would want some water and lip balm! The salt in the air can wreak havoc. I just felt a bit lost on my first sleepover....everyone else had sleeping masks, earplugs, fuzzy blankies, air mattresses, reading book lights etc...

Other reviews for Georgia Aquarium

Fun Internship - should be paid

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

It was a really unique internship experience. You could walk around and see the animals nearly every day if you wanted. I was able to take on a lot of responsibility for an internship role and work on plenty of different tasks on the communications side of the operation. They let the interns sit in on larger meetings so we got a feel of how the place really runs.

Cons

The interns are unpaid "volunteers" which is ridiculous because we were essentially doing the same work as others working above us. It's clear certain departments in the aquarium are understaffed and they're using interns as free labor. I was one of the first people there in the morning and one of the last to leave the office - all while being unpaid. Interns in other departments were treated better than others as well.

Please pay your interns at least minimum wage. Most of us are almost done with college if not done already.

Fun temporary part time job, but not practical for long term employment.

Former Employee - Guest Programs Team Specialist  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Guest Programs Team Specialist in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Decent part time pay in guest programs at $12/ hr. You are able to earn time off, even as a part time employee. Full time benefits are decent. The people you work with are fun and creative. Many special events on weekends throughout the year, so each week is different. Free admission tickets for each employee.

Cons

Difficult to move up in the department. Full time positions are very limited. Upper management can sometimes be very stubborn. Asst managers truly have an "open door" policy, but are usually limited with how much they can do by upper management.

You have talented employees working for you and you need to be more open to their ideas and opinions.

There are newer employer reviews for Georgia Aquarium.

Worked for Georgia Aquarium? Contribute to the Community!