Georgia Department of Education

www.gadoe.org

Good as a stepping stone or post retirement

Education Specialist (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThis agency is great for early or mid career professionals and/or post retirement. You can obtain numerous positions with GaDOE on your résumé. Many retired professionals have the opportunity to work from home around the state of Georgia.

ConsThis agency allows little opportunity for advancement for young professionals. The salary is low compared to school districts and federal government positions. Employees have been on a raise freeze for the last 4 years. There is a level of bias with many managers regardless of employee performance or team player attitude. Obtain the salary you desire during the interview/ negotiating process, since raises and significant promotions are virtually nonexistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat all employees equally. Offer the same opportunities work telework and field base work to all members of the professional staff. Promote qualified employees based on actual work experience and applicable education and not based on the ability to control the manager, who they employee knows or the race. Since merit raises are not being issued, offer other types of compensation such as comp time, increased telework opportunities (which reduce employee expenses), reclassify jobs to increase salary when appropriate.

A great place to work for people who accept mediocrity

Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia Department of Education full-time for more than a year

Pros: The hours are really good. On my team it is commonplace for people to show up at 9 and leave by 3pm. The environment is… Cons: This is the place where you go to retire. There are a lot of 'do nothings'. These are people who are just holding on… Advice to Senior Management: Clean out the lazy, mediocre bottom feeders and pay people what they are really worth on… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Good enough for Government Work

I have been working at Georgia Department of Education full-time

Pros: An undemanding IT shop with low stress. Agency has low expectations of… Cons: The IT management team has a rudimentary management skill set. Failure to deliver is… Advice to Senior Management: Hold people accountable for their performance. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Georgia Department of Education.

Worked for Georgia Department of Education? Contribute to the Community!