There are newer employer reviews for Georgia Gwinnett College

Positive but with growing pains

Current Employee - Instructor of English  in  Lawrenceville, GA
Current Employee - Instructor of English in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Georgia Gwinnett College

Pros

Very collegial atmosphere amongst the faculty and staff.

Cons

Disorganized because of the rapid growth

11 Other Employee Reviews for Georgia Gwinnett College (View Most Recent)

A great place to work

Current Employee - Applications Developer  in  Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Georgia Gwinnett College full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility in work time
    Ability to make a career change if desired
    Tuition assistance for extending your education
    The college has a good core mission and values. They operate much like a start-up which is refreshing to see for a college where things can be beaten down by bureaucracy.

Cons

The salaries aren't what you'd make in any corporate setting
    Raises are few and far between unless you change titles
    The college is very new, so some procedures that you may be used to may not exist yet.

Open up more training opportunities for employees. Don't be afraid to let your employees have more of a direct impact on the student population.

Heart is in the right place

Current Employee - Professional Writing Tutor  in  Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Professional Writing Tutor in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Georgia Gwinnett College part-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone who works here is more than happy to lend a hand, or offer a suggestion, even if you're in the middle of a session or they are. It's a very welcoming environment for staff and students, and the management really lets you take the lead on things and set the pace in the workspace.

Cons

Unfortunately, this soft-managing has repercussions, specifically when it comes to the student assistants and their understanding of what it is we "do." Many times they will seat us with a student who thinks they're getting their paper edited, only to have us tell them this is in fact the one service we do not offer.

Get everyone on the same page. Have your tutors understand what it means to tutor the student in writing skills and strategies and not to edit the work for the students themselves.
    Have the student assistants learn the same, especially the fact that we do not edit. Rhetoric is everything, and the assistants are the first line of defense when it comes to making sure students understand what the writing center is for, and how they can best utilize its services.

There are newer employer reviews for Georgia Gwinnett College

Worked for Georgia Gwinnett College? Contribute to the Community!