There are newer employer reviews for Georgia Gwinnett College

It's changing and not for the better

I have been working at Georgia Gwinnett College full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you're young and inexperienced this is a great place to get your foot in the door and add a few titles on your resume.

Cons

Not a great place to be a staff member. Administration is only concerned with keeping faculty happy and enrolling large number of students. This is not an institution that welcomes diversity. If you're a woman or a minority you won't go very far. You're expected to work all hours of the night and on weekends. Worklife balance is NOT taken into consideration at all!

Your staff carries the college. Stop abusing them. Shuttle some funding in the way of Student Affairs. The students that come to Georgia Gwinnett College (an open access institution) don't care if they faculty went to Harvard so stop investing money in degrees and start developing a supportive institution and maybe your retention will be better.

12 Other Employee Reviews for Georgia Gwinnett College (View Most Recent)

GGC is a great environment to be working in, especially in the school of science and technology

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Georgia Gwinnett College full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A very supportive environment, especially for women.
    Excellent colleagues in School of science and technology
    The vision of the school is well communicated
    Freedom to work according to your personal schedule
    Good pay scale

Cons

Too much college related committee work.
    Do not get enough time for research

GGC experiences very real growing pains.

Former Employee - Librarian in Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Librarian in Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at Georgia Gwinnett College full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I will say the vast majority of the people I worked with were great. The students were great to work with and most were enthusiastic about their education. Faculty outside my department were easy to work with and communicate with. There is a great deal of enthusiasm and excitement on the campus for its mission and goals.

Cons

The area I worked in was not very supportive of family, children, or single parents. Communication from further up the chain of command was slow to travel to others. Where the department I worked in was going, what the plans were for getting there, how I fit into those plans, and communication on my performance were highly lacking. Upper management left no recourse for filing grievances or seeing anything done to resolve issues.

Support those with children. Understand they may be the only caretaker available. Younger children are more prone to illness when in daycare. Communicate plans for your departments and how those working there fit into these plans.

There are newer employer reviews for Georgia Gwinnett College