Georgia-Pacific Corporation

There are newer employer reviews for Georgia-Pacific Corporation

Good company, good people

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Professional working environment, respectful management.
Now that Georgia Pacific is a private company (purchased by Koch Industries) a lot of the corporate bloat was reduced down to core efficient teams. Less people and more work getting done. At least in the IT side of GP.
I really enjoyed my time at GP and felt that I was rewarded for my efforts most of the time.

Read up on Charles Koch's book market based management to see if you would be a good fit for the culture. I personally found it fit my personal values so i embraced the idea.

Cons

Big company slower to make decisions.
Management has good philosophies "Market Based Management" but not all leaders actually follow it.

Embrace Market Based Management.
Find ways to keep senior team members engaged and not too comfortable.

310 Other Employee Reviews for Georgia-Pacific Corporation (View Most Recent)

Progressive place to work at with a blend of old-school and new-school ideas

Former Employee - IT Senior Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - IT Senior Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

IT is a dynamic organization filled with people who have a lot of experience. People are progressive and want to build systems and processes that are best practice if not cutting edge

Cons

This is an organization where people tend to stay for many years, so mobility at the senior levels can be somewhat limited.

Provide people more lateral opportunities for upward growth eventually.

A decent Company to work for.

Current Employee - Operator in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Operator in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great hourly pay. Recession proof consumer products. Extreme focus on safety. Additional performance pay for reaching key goals.

Cons

Accepting change related to strong focus on the bottom line. After over 20 years of employment with this company it was purchased and became privately owned. The owners drive the company on a set of principles called Market based management(MBM). It was difficult at first adjusting from being a human to being a commodity. But reality is in this system what you contribute is what you are worth to them. They reward innovation, reliability, safety, adding value, etc. Don't plan on working here and doing enough to just skate by. You won't last long.

Somehow consider the humanity of those that work hard to make this company successful. Right now it is all about the bottom line. Time off flexibility, etc. continues to erode as policies evolve. We are not machines, we have emotions and families.

There are newer employer reviews for Georgia-Pacific Corporation