Georgia-Pacific Corporation

www.gp.com
  www.gp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Georgia-Pacific Corporation

I was a Process Control Technician at GP; I enjoyed my job. i had many responsibilities; I monitored the entire mill.

Former Employee - Process Control Engineer in Alcolu, SC
Former Employee - Process Control Engineer in Alcolu, SC

I worked at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They are big on safety-0 tolerance; greenness; efficient use of recycled material, and taking ownership of job. They have ethics rules in place---fair treatment of everyone. Overall the treatment is good.

Cons

Some supervisors are lacking in the area of training, and knowledge. My supervisor did not know as much as I did about the job----he did a poor job on instructing me---I know, I have trained many people on various jobs.

Change your policy on supervisors--training new hires. Make sure they start fast and smart; taking time to make sure new hires "get it", not a half-baked training.

310 Other Employee Reviews for Georgia-Pacific Corporation (View Most Recent)

PHONEY and OVERRATED

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time

Pros

You'll be lured to GP with a great starting salary, subsidized transportation, a downtown location, and the promise of MBM (respect, value creation, challenge process....).
    Will look good on your resume.

Cons

Your expectations will be dashed. No annual cost-of living raise, and most promotions don't include a raise. Horrifying micromanagement that will suck the joy out of your job and the life right out of you. The MBM guidelines, if actually implemented, would be awesome. But, GP management only talks about MBM it doesn't actually walk it.
    Management wants you to think GP isn't like other huge corporations, that they hold themselves to a higher standard called MBM guiding principles. However, once you get here, you find out its just as bad or worse than other companies, GP just hides it better at first. If you do challenge an idea in a meeting, be prepared to have it show up on your review. Respect and integrity, though part of MBM principles, is phoney and counterfeit.

MBM needs to be more than talk, please walk it. Don't pretend to embrace "change" and the "challenge process" and then retaliate in reviews. Don't talk about value creation when all you mean is that you'll promote only your friends who you value. If the Koch brothers saw how GP interprets MBM, they'd be ashamed.
    Many middle managers have no people skills, and are so paranoid and insecure they blame others for their mistakes and problems. Listen when employees tell you a boss can't manage, they're telling you the truth and giving you an opportunity to fix the problem. Otherwise, you'll keep losing excellent workers in order to appease bad managers.

I believe GP is a wonderful incubator for those in transition or looking for a steady 9-5.

Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Large corporation with plenty of problems to solve.

Cons

Unfortunately many of those problems are organizational/political.

Develop your people and compensate them fairly.

There are newer employer reviews for Georgia-Pacific Corporation