There are newer employer reviews for Georgia-Pacific Corporation

Great upper management, not much room for moving up"

Former Employee - Transportation Planner in Green Bay, WI
Former Employee - Transportation Planner in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I worked in transportation and found a lot of support while training. Most everyone was very nice and my bosses were truly great women who wanted our department to do well. If I made a mistake, it was always taken as a learning opportunity.

Cons

Most of the work is done in front of a computer, and most of the people you talk to are through phones and emails. The days can be long and boring.

reviews filtered by
  1. I was a Process Control Technician at GP; I enjoyed my job. i had many responsibilities; I monitored the entire mill.

Former Employee - Process Control Engineer in Alcolu, SC
    Former Employee - Process Control Engineer in Alcolu, SC

I worked at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They are big on safety-0 tolerance; greenness; efficient use of recycled material, and taking ownership of job. They have ethics rules in place---fair treatment of everyone. Overall the treatment is good.

Cons

Some supervisors are lacking in the area of training, and knowledge. My supervisor did not know as much as I did about the job----he did a poor job on instructing me---I know, I have trained many people on various jobs.

Advice to Management

Change your policy on supervisors--training new hires. Make sure they start fast and smart; taking time to make sure new hires "get it", not a half-baked training.

PHONEY and OVERRATED

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time

Pros

You'll be lured to GP with a great starting salary, subsidized transportation, a downtown location, and the promise of MBM (respect, value creation, challenge process....).
    Will look good on your resume.

Cons

Your expectations will be dashed. No annual cost-of living raise, and most promotions don't include a raise. Horrifying micromanagement that will suck the joy out of your job and the life right out of you. The MBM guidelines, if actually implemented, would be awesome. But, GP management only talks about MBM it doesn't actually walk it.
    Management wants you to think GP isn't like other huge corporations, that they hold themselves to a higher standard called MBM guiding principles. However, once you get here, you find out its just as bad or worse than other companies, GP just hides it better at first. If you do challenge an idea in a meeting, be prepared to have it show up on your review. Respect and integrity, though part of MBM principles, is phoney and counterfeit.

Advice to Management

MBM needs to be more than talk, please walk it. Don't pretend to embrace "change" and the "challenge process" and then retaliate in reviews. Don't talk about value creation when all you mean is that you'll promote only your friends who you value. If the Koch brothers saw how GP interprets MBM, they'd be ashamed.
    Many middle managers have no people skills, and are so paranoid and insecure they blame others for their mistakes and problems. Listen when employees tell you a boss can't manage, they're telling you the truth and giving you an opportunity to fix the problem. Otherwise, you'll keep losing excellent workers in order to appease bad managers.

There are newer employer reviews for Georgia-Pacific Corporation