There are newer employer reviews for Georgia State University

GSU is good; but could be better.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia State University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the pros at Georgia State is the flexibility with time. Georgia State has great events, around campus, and employees are encouraged to attend these events. I had a slightly different experience because I was an hourly employee, so I wasn't privy to a lot of the health benefits and such, but I do know what they are, and GSU provides really great benefits to their employees. I would say the education benefits are outstanding. One reviewer called GSU dysfunctional and I would say that my team was probably one of the more well adjusted teams on campus, but I have heard horror stories about others. I think that mental health is a very important issue, and GSU has really awesome programs that promote health and wellness for its employees. The work/life balance is really great. I rarely took work home with me. And they have a world class gym on campus and you have access to personal trainers for a fraction of what you would pay a mainstream gym.

Cons

It is very hierarchical, where the higher ups will take credit for your work. So, you have to kind of develop a thick skin and suspend your professional ego if you work here. They have an employee appreciation day that is nothing short of a joke. Also, the parking is a nightmare for not only students, but employees as well, and GSU does not provide free parking for their employees--it is automatically taken out of your pay check each period. There isn't a lot of room to grow at Georgia State. New positions are not being created, so what you end up with is an office where everyone holds the same position for years, and then management acts surprised when you suddenly want to pursue other opportunities elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Reward employees when they do a great job--not only by telling them, but by compensation as well. Also, just because you are the manager in an office and your team represents you, that is no excuse for not stepping up and saying, "So and so on my team actually ran this project and did X, Y and Z for it." This type of behavior is widespread and tolerated and the excuse given is "office politics" That is unacceptable. Your employees make or break your success, and when an employee doesn't feel appreciated they will leave. Also, leave emotion out of making decisions. Business needs to be conducted in a logical manner, and when emotions are presented in an office setting (ie taking it personally when someone leaves) it invalidates the office as a whole.

Other Employee Reviews for Georgia State University

Low salary

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia State University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Urban setting of the university

Cons

Salary below national average and the state is no intention for any raise

2. The management does not do well with managing, but the atmosphere is less stressful than some others.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia State University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The environment is mostly friendly, depending on department and class level of students. There are multiple locations outside Atlanta available.

Cons

The management does not do well managing their money. It's almost like they forget that the students are the customers.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your customers! Don't make decisions that remove privileges that they have earned.