Gerson Lehrman Group

www.glg.it
There are newer employer reviews for Gerson Lehrman Group

Great place to get finance and client service exposure

Current Employee - Senior Research Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very smart people from huge range of backgrounds. Work closely with investor clients on diligence into public and private companies. Regular interactions with C-level industry executives. Lots of offices (Boston, Chicago, NYC, LA, SF, Austin, DC, etc), so you can travel frequently without having to take vacation days. Managers are very good on the whole, no one manages just for the sake of managing. A lot of freedom if you perform well.

Cons

Sometimes complicated and advanced work with investors (I was a liberal arts major...), but nothing you can’t learn. Long hours sometimes (normally 8:30 - 6/6:30, but sometimes 8:30 – 7:30 or 8:00 during busy times). You have to juggle a lot at one time and you always have a lot going on. You also get a lot of responsibility pretty early on so you have to learn the job quickly, but training is very good so not really a big deal for most people.

More direct interaction would be great.

165 Other Employee Reviews for Gerson Lehrman Group (View Most Recent)

Somewhat well-run company and pleasant colleagues

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time

Pros

-GLG is in a somewhat unique market and, while it's not perhaps the most interesting thing, GLG does it better than anyone. Our competitors are cheaper and faster because they don't care about niceties like compliance, which will come back to bite them all.
    -Management listens to employees - they recently started a 401k match, for example. I feel like I could walk up to anyone - CEO, CFO, CIO - and ask questions or bring up an issue and a suggested resolution, and they would listen.
    -Virtually everyone I work with is friendly, fun, smart, and always willing to help others.
    -Work/life balance is overall very good for being involved with Wall St.

Cons

-The job is overall not intellectually challenging.There's lots of talk about how Research Managers are intimately involved with clients' research processes and are vital partners who need to have a lot of subject matter expertise. More than anything, I feel like a glorified secretary since 30% of my job is scheduling phone calls for clients (and then rescheduling them when the client cancels at the last minute and having to calm down an irate Council Member who had been planning on having a call in five minutes). Clients view GLG as a vendor, nothing more.
    -Another 30% of my job is searching our database for people a client might want to talk to. This does not require an advanced degree.
    -The physical office is a little embarrassing to bring clients to - rather run down and crowded. And the bathrooms are gross. Fortunately, we are moving to a new office later this summer.
    -Salaries seem a little low for NYC

It seems like the company wastes a lot of money on startup ventures that don't go anywhere (G+, Hightable, etc). I'd be interested to learn more about the thought process that goes into this. And I do agree that we need a new CEO: the current one seems out of his depth, awkward, and too removed for a company this size. Getting in an elevator with him is uncomfortable, as opposed to getting in an elevator with anyone else in senior management.

Very bright future--Excellent place to be

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time

Pros

Professional development, interesting work, open atmosphere, quality of colleagues, premier and diverse client base, early responsibility, great work/life balance, industry leading compliance, excellent business model, company is growing and changing fast

Cons

Enterprise software system, some outdated systems and processes

Continue using all assets to recruit, develop, and retain talent--relay company strategy (not just 3-12 month tactics and goals) to junior employees

There are newer employer reviews for Gerson Lehrman Group