Getty Trust

www.getty.edu
  www.getty.edu
There are newer employer reviews for Getty Trust

We could be doing great things.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Getty Trust

Pros

Beautiful location, great benefits, some brilliant people.

Cons

We're not saving lives but conserving art...let's have fun doing great work. Cut through the non-profit political games.

Listen to your staff

34 Other Employee Reviews for Getty Trust (View Most Recent)

Museum Associate

Current Employee - Museum Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Museum Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Getty Trust

Pros

Compensation is good off the bat for your position. Instead of starting small they start you according to the max your dept. can spend for your position or what it has for its fiscal budget which is usually divided up pretty fair. The grounds are unbelievable and the people that come through are really cool.

Cons

Its a world class museum run completely by really good Artists who don't really have any business management training. I work in Visitor Services and not one of the 15 managers,supervisors, leads, or assistants have any formal business management training. It used to be the perfect place to work until the recession. Morale is low now, they are not hiring at all in the many museum sections besides the bookstore, and they are not promoting within in my very large dept. They have a record of hiring non-qualified / lost managers throughout the entire trust (which means both the Getty Center and Villa) and its a shame because this is the most prestigious museums you will ever see.

If I were to say one thing they need to do to better is only hire people with a combination of proven leadership skills with equal education completion in a business setting and not just artists who usually come in with some emotional problems.

Great organization, going through a rough time

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Getty Trust

Pros

Beautiful campus, wonderful people to work with. Benefits were nice and affordable. Because most people never left the grounds during working hours, there was a lot of informal communication between the departments.

Cons

Several growing pains of a rather young organization. Low moral among those who had been there for a long time and kept seeing their perks taken away. Lots of layoffs even though their endowment is in the billions. Made for a stressful atmosphere and a constant "who's next?" fear.

Be more transparent. Let employees feel as if they have some sort of input when it comes to big decisions. Be grateful for such a dedicated staff.

There are newer employer reviews for Getty Trust