Getty Trust

www.getty.edu

Museum Associate

Museum Associate (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsCompensation is good off the bat for your position. Instead of starting small they start you according to the max your dept. can spend for your position or what it has for its fiscal budget which is usually divided up pretty fair. The grounds are unbelievable and the people that come through are really cool.

ConsIts a world class museum run completely by really good Artists who don't really have any business management training. I work in Visitor Services and not one of the 15 managers,supervisors, leads, or assistants have any formal business management training. It used to be the perfect place to work until the recession. Morale is low now, they are not hiring at all in the many museum sections besides the bookstore, and they are not promoting within in my very large dept. They have a record of hiring non-qualified / lost managers throughout the entire trust (which means both the Getty Center and Villa) and its a shame because this is the most prestigious museums you will ever see.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf I were to say one thing they need to do to better is only hire people with a combination of proven leadership skills with equal education completion in a business setting and not just artists who usually come in with some emotional problems.

Great organization, going through a rough time

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Getty Trust

Pros: Beautiful campus, wonderful people to work with. Benefits were nice and affordable. Because most people… Cons: Several growing pains of a rather young organization. Low moral among those who had been there for a long time and kept seeing their… Advice to Senior Management: Be more transparent. Let employees feel as if they have some sort of… More

The corrosive effect of money on a non-profit

One of the Minions (Current Employee) West Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Getty Trust

Pros: Being part of an organization that shares and cares for some of the great works… Cons: Bureaucracy, ethically-questionable senior staff promotions and salaries. Bad managers promoting other bad managers based on the… Advice to Senior Management: Do something because you should and not simply because you have the money to do so. The Getty's money… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Getty Trust.

Worked for Getty Trust? Contribute to the Community!