Good Employer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Leandro, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Leandro, CA

I worked at Ghirardelli Chocolate full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is growing and moving forward in the right direction (but that comes with growing pains). Management is open to new ideas and changes that will benefit the company and the people. Pros- 1. The people. You get to work with AMAZING people not just in your department but in others. 2. Benefits. The package is really good for the size of the company. Management thinks about the employee's well-being and not what is 'cheap' to the company 3. Security. I felt safe working at Ghirardelli because of the security measures put in place. I'm never worried when I leave late at night or start early in the morning when its still dark 4. Free chocolate!

Cons

There is a separation between the employees in production and in the corporate office. Both departments need to come together as ONE. Cons- 1. Salary. Great if you're a new hire, not so good if you've been there for years and no adjustment with additional responsibilities 2. Room for growth/ promotions in certain departments 3. Some departments are favored more than others

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing but take more time to listen and observe the hard-workers in Production and Retail not just Corporate employees.

Dec 1, 2014 – Recruiting

Thanks for writing a review, we appreciate your feedback!

Other Employee Reviews for Ghirardelli Chocolate

1. Sales

I worked at Ghirardelli Chocolate full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's an iconic brand with strong equity and a ton of upside in the market. Their focus on quality means you always have an advantage when selling.

Cons

One of the biggest challenges is the relationship with the parent company. Ghirardelli is clearly the strategic leader in the portfolio, which must be intimidating to the other units.

Advice to Management

Marty Thompson is a dynamic CEO with a strong sales background. Keep pushing and keep leading within the broader organization.

Dec 1, 2014 – Recruiting

Thanks for your review and comments!

2. Delicious and Rewarding!

Current Employee - Marketing in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at Ghirardelli Chocolate full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is one of the best companies I’ve worked for and the longest one I’ve been with. Working at Ghirardelli is extremely satisfying and enjoyable especially when the people you work with share the same passionate about the product (chocolate!) as you do. Being a mid-size company you get your hands on a variety of highly visible projects. As a result, you get to have a lot of ownership and decision making power within your business. During the course of my career I’ve had the pleasure to work for and with some fantastic managers. I know this is not the case for everyone or every department but overall I have really appreciated my managers. I am constantly learning and being challenged on a regular basis. There's rarely a dull moment and two days are never the same which keeps the work exciting and engaging. Last but certainly not least chocolate is everywhere! You begin to develop a very refined palate and form a strong appreciation for sophisticated flavors and complimentary ingredient combinations. An added perk is giving your feedback on new flavor development.

Cons

You do have to be comfortable managing lots of changes and working at a fairly fast pace. Timelines are rarely standard and most projects are extremely rushed. This motivates some people but makes others miserable and those they work with frustrated. The office is a bit dated and does not reflect the premium image of the brand therefore making it difficult to host outside business partners with pride. The location isn’t much better mostly because there are not a lot of lunch options and you need to drive just to go out. That being said the company is generous about providing catered meals for lunch meetings. Finally, not sure if this is really a con but being surrounded by premium chocolate you inevitably become a “chocolate snob” and have difficulty enjoying mainstream chocolate and average desserts ever again.

Advice to Management

We know that we are a very strong and fast growing company with a focus on innovation but there seems to be a lack of urgency to invest in additional headcount within key departments. Many departments appear to run too lean making it challenging to keep up with an ambitious product pipeline.

Dec 1, 2014 – Recruiting

Wow! Thanks for your review, and your candid/transparent feedback. We really appreciate it, and can't improve unless we hear from you. Thanks again!