Giant Eagle

www.gianteagle.com
  www.gianteagle.com
There are newer employer reviews for Giant Eagle

Good job for high school students, or lifers with the company.

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Akron, OH
Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Akron, OH

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employees are all really nice. I never had a problems with any of the workers. Employees are given a lot of incentives to do well, such as gift cards, and there is a yearly opportunity to tell the company how you feel. The company tries to promote a team feeling by doing numerous group competitive activities that you can sign up for, and there is a Christmas party. They're really flexible as far as scheduling, and it's a union job so the worker does have someone to turn to if they feel they're having problems with the company. As a cashier, all you do is stand in one spot all day and move items across the belt, so it's an easy job. You are also given paid breaks. As union job, the least amount of hours you can be scheduled per week is 14 hours.

Cons

Even though it's an easy job, it's extremely monotonous. If you like doing something different at work on a regular basis, this job is not for you. The breaks are paid but they're only 15 minutes long (for every 6+) hours. Since the stores employ so many people, it can be very hard to get the number of hours you want. It's almost impossible to get a lot of hours without being with the company for 10, 15+ years. If you're concerned about hours, I would recommend getting a second part time job. Giant Eagle employs a lot of high school students, so the atmosphere can be young and immature. The biggest downside is simply dealing with the customers. They can be rude and mean for no reason. You only have a career with the company is you plan on staying and retiring with them. There is no room to move up within a few years of being employed. As a union job, an employee is not eligible for benefits until have after one year of being employed.

Enforce rules with young employees. I saw high school students/young college students not working too many times and talking with their fellow friend workers instead. If your job is to bag, then you should bag for everyone, not just your friends.

347 Other Employee Reviews for Giant Eagle (View Most Recent)

No better job while in school.

Former Employee - Front End Coordinator in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Front End Coordinator in Columbus, OH

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic flexibility with school schedules. The Team Leaders will listen to problems and work to resolve them.

Cons

Hours vary and are subject to change based on seaon and general business.

Unsatisfying.

Current Employee - Produce Team Member in Canfield, OH
    Current Employee - Produce Team Member in Canfield, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The actual work seems to change but rarely (at least in my department)
    The managers are all usually reasonably relaxed unless there's a holiday or company visit then you're on your own

Cons

Upper management comes in far too often resulting in a mad scramble by all departments to prepare for the visit resulting in extremely high stress for all employees
    Holidays seasons are stressful but my store just went through a grand reopening (and apparently is still doing it three weeks later) and as a result I've had to go in several hours earlier than I was told I would be working when I first got hired in some months ago; I was originally scheduled to work at 6am, now I'm working 4am in addition to going to school full time.
    Hours seem to disappear when employees need them most except for the managers who also suspiciously seem to have a full 40 hours every week with little exception. I have asked repeatedly for more hours (I was hired for full time, now I only get 27 hours per week) and I keep getting told that "they're coming," which was about a month ago. If the company can afford multi-million dollar remodels, it can sure as hell afford to toss me ten more hours per week. Several other department members mentioned recently that they're maxed out on employee hours, with several of the same department members not even wanting that many hours to begin with...why is it that some of these hours from other departments can't be shifted around to help employees who actually want and need to work?

Be kinder to your employees. There's a reason they walk out.

There are newer employer reviews for Giant Eagle