Unsatisfying.

Current Employee - Produce Team Member in Canfield, OH
Current Employee - Produce Team Member in Canfield, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The actual work seems to change but rarely (at least in my department) The managers are all usually reasonably relaxed unless there's a holiday or company visit then you're on your own

Cons

Upper management comes in far too often resulting in a mad scramble by all departments to prepare for the visit resulting in extremely high stress for all employees Holidays seasons are stressful but my store just went through a grand reopening (and apparently is still doing it three weeks later) and as a result I've had to go in several hours earlier than I was told I would be working when I first got hired in some months ago; I was originally scheduled to work at 6am, now I'm working 4am in addition to going to school full time. Hours seem to disappear when employees need them most except for the managers who also suspiciously seem to have a full 40 hours every week with little exception. I have asked repeatedly for more hours (I was hired for full time, now I only get 27 hours per week) and I keep getting told that "they're coming," which was about a month ago. If the company can afford multi-million dollar remodels, it can sure as hell afford to toss me ten more hours per week. Several other department members mentioned recently that they're maxed out on employee hours, with several of the same department members not even wanting that many hours to begin with...why is it that some of these hours from other departments can't be shifted around to help employees who actually want and need to work?

Advice to Management

Be kinder to your employees. There's a reason they walk out.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. No better job while in school.

Former Employee - Front End Coordinator in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Front End Coordinator in Columbus, OH

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic flexibility with school schedules. The Team Leaders will listen to problems and work to resolve them.

Cons

Hours vary and are subject to change based on seaon and general business.

Very inconsistent work environment. More about who you know than what you accomplish.

Former Employee - Store Leader in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Store Leader in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fairly good benefits, generally 45-50 hours for management, company dominates this market and will be around for a long time.

Cons

Poor consistency in communication, different level of development and expectations according to what division you work for, and it was highly beneficial to have a very well known last name/relative to help move along your career. Some union areas and some non-union areas...very disjointed.

Advice to Management

Clear up the communication channels to give honest and accurate feedback. Honestly, my time there felt like a good old boys club. Not quite the level of professionalism I was expecting after going through the interview process. Training was horrible to say the least.