There are newer employer reviews for Giant Eagle

Cashier

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Pittsburgh, PA
Former Employee - Cashier in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time for more than a year

Pros

This job was great when I was 16 and had no real bills to pay. This was actually an amazing first job, perfect for school students.

Cons

Hour cuts: They cut hours so bad but they give you hope by giving you one week of decent hours and then you're back down to kid hours the next. Personally I don't know how people with families and major bills survive on the wages we make.

Don't spread around that the hours are going back up when you know that they aren't, sure everyone is happy to hear but then everyone is upset when they find out it's a lie. Also it would be nice to have stable managers. Corporate should stop switching managers back to back.

320 Other Employee Reviews for Giant Eagle (View Most Recent)

Great place to work

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk  in  Streetsboro, OH
    Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Streetsboro, OH

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I got a lot of hours, and the people were very nice.

Cons

There really wasn't any thing bad.

Don't really have any.

Good job for high school students, or lifers with the company.

Former Employee - Front End Cashier  in  Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Akron, OH

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time for less than a year

Pros

The employees are all really nice. I never had a problems with any of the workers. Employees are given a lot of incentives to do well, such as gift cards, and there is a yearly opportunity to tell the company how you feel. The company tries to promote a team feeling by doing numerous group competitive activities that you can sign up for, and there is a Christmas party. They're really flexible as far as scheduling, and it's a union job so the worker does have someone to turn to if they feel they're having problems with the company. As a cashier, all you do is stand in one spot all day and move items across the belt, so it's an easy job. You are also given paid breaks. As union job, the least amount of hours you can be scheduled per week is 14 hours.

Cons

Even though it's an easy job, it's extremely monotonous. If you like doing something different at work on a regular basis, this job is not for you. The breaks are paid but they're only 15 minutes long (for every 6+) hours. Since the stores employ so many people, it can be very hard to get the number of hours you want. It's almost impossible to get a lot of hours without being with the company for 10, 15+ years. If you're concerned about hours, I would recommend getting a second part time job. Giant Eagle employs a lot of high school students, so the atmosphere can be young and immature. The biggest downside is simply dealing with the customers. They can be rude and mean for no reason. You only have a career with the company is you plan on staying and retiring with them. There is no room to move up within a few years of being employed. As a union job, an employee is not eligible for benefits until have after one year of being employed.

Enforce rules with young employees. I saw high school students/young college students not working too many times and talking with their fellow friend workers instead. If your job is to bag, then you should bag for everyone, not just your friends.

There are newer employer reviews for Giant Eagle

Worked for Giant Eagle? Contribute to the Community!