Good Company Overall

Current Employee - Front End Cashier  in  Pittsburgh, PA
Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

good work environment, great benefits for part time work, some good managers, opportunities to branch out into different areas of the company

Cons

always cutting back hours, very hard to get full time, some very bad managers, good managers always seem to leave too soon while bad managers tend to stay around longer

base hours on performance of individual stores rather than overall needs of the company, put stores in direct competition with one another to build a sense of pride within each store, don't force employees to switch stores just to get full time, make it easier to get full time by basing it on time of employment rather than letting people work for ten or even twenty years and nothing to show for it but a certificate, give employees individual evaluations to let them know how they are doing and allow them to develop a career path and give them better access to your career training and advancement opportunities.

Other Reviews for Giant Eagle

Horrible

Current Employee - Cake Decorator  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Cake Decorator in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time for more than a year

Pros

The insurance plan is one of the best I've seen. They are pretty flexible when it comes to scheduling.

Cons

The workload is getting to be too much for the number of people they employ in this position. There is no sick time, vacation weeks are few and far between. Management are the only ones to receive bonuses (if earned), the people doing the work don't see any of it.

Give more hours to the stores to have enough help - if you want to increase sales, then we need to be able to put the product out! And if you're going to do bonuses, everyone should get it, we all do the work.

Good experience, but be prepared to teach yourself

Former Employee - Grocery Leader  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Grocery Leader in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly management, lots of exposure and lots of new ways to learn provided that you can teach yourself.

Cons

No accountability for anyone - bad team leaders are just transferred and problems are just kicked around instead of solved. Priorities for the company have become very misguided and pay scale is out of line for impactful positions.

Learn to identify the top performers, and then get rid of the dead weight. Too many new initiatives that drive up overhead - we are selling groceries and the simpler we can make it, the better the company will be as a whole.

There are newer employer reviews for Giant Eagle.

Worked for Giant Eagle? Contribute to the Community!