Perhaps I expect too much...

Current Employee - Cashier/Coordinator  in  Columbus, OH
Current Employee - Cashier/Coordinator in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle

Pros

I've been with Giant Eagle two years, and my primary reason for working there is the benefits; I only need work 20 hours to have medical, dental and vision benefits. They're not as good as I've had at some other companies, but they're worth my staying there. In addition, I'm fond of most of my coworkers and I've made some good friends. The work is not too difficult, and GE did have a higher starting pay than most of the grocery stores in the area.

Cons

They really expect some hustle... some stores have baggers to bag the groceries for the customers, while my store does not. If you're a cashier, you're going to work your rear off. (I once worked for UPS and it was easier than this.) One or two more cashiers on the floor certainly couldn't hurt; it seems they try to do with as few as possible somedays, thus leading to lines and anxious customers. I go home hurting almost everyday. I have a friend that works in grocery at another location across town. He feel he works hard, too, while others just stand around; it doesn't always seem fair.

I was also a little put off when I returned to college (I'm in my early forties,) and gave them my new schedule. I was a coordinator for a year before that, and since I started school, I very rarely coordinate and my hours got cut WAY back. I wish I felt more supported as a student. I feel I'm much more professional than the person that took my position, and my coworkers and customers that have known me for a while agree. I do take it personally, because I was proud of the work I did and it was very important to me. If it wasn't for the benefits and the fact that I need them, I doubt I would stay.

I'm not asking for a gold metal, but I wish I didn't feel like I'm being penalized for trying to better myself by working and attending school. Believe me, I can handle both.

Also, I'm not impressed at all with the way the HR department was cut. I feel it's a huge mistake to let one person handle several stores. I used to feel like my HR person knew me and took me seriously. She was wonderful and I could talk to her about my concerns and she listen intently and made sure it got handled. I feel like I cannot count on HR for anything now, and some of my issues have not been handled to my satisfaction. In addition, I had telephoned the "Ethics Hotline" to report what I felt was a very serious issue, and felt like I was talking to an operator at an answering service. She even asked me " You work at Giant, right?" The matter was eventually referred to a woman whom I had never met, who treated me like I was more of a nusiance than anything else. The more I tried to explain my concern, the angrier she got, and even said she was late for lunch and I was only "wasting more of her time." I'm not sure I would be so eager to call the hotline number again after being treated that way.

We're reminded over and over again to treat our customers like family and do whatever it takes to make them happy. Over the past couple of years, I feel more and more like I'm being treated like a number. It's really unfortunate.

Other Reviews for Giant Eagle

o.k.grocery

Current Employee - Warehouse  in  East Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Warehouse in East Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Giant Eagle

Pros

good pay,no lay offs ,no weekends

Cons

Got to work hard,have to document all time

Job good for high school kids

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Willowick, OH
    Current Employee - Cashier in Willowick, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle

Pros

They are very flexable about your work schedule at sometimes

Cons

The older workers are just complainers, I dont like the fact that I was knocked from full time to part time and my benefits were taken from me and my hours were not good after that and I had bills plus kids, but they didnt care because the mangers were getting the 40 hours. So I found another job making 42K with benefits and I told Giant Eagle good bye! I dont even think managers are making that much and they been there for 20 and 30 years. pathetic!!!!

None

There are newer employer reviews for Giant Eagle.

Worked for Giant Eagle? Contribute to the Community!