Gibson Guitar
www.gibson.com Nashville, TN 1000 to 5000 Employees

Working at Gibson requires a very special type of crazy

Systems Administrator (Former Employee)
Nashville, TN

ProsI worked at Gibson for a very long time. It is my home and its employees are my family. It has the coolest culture of any place I have ever worked and employees many of the coolest, nicest, and knowledgeable luthiers and professionals I have ever worked with. The manufacturers are master craftsman (I was one as well) and command my utmost respect. However... see cons.

ConsGibson is the craziest, looniest, mind blowingly messed up place I have ever worked. The entire management structure is based around not doing anything to attract Henry's attention. So the most successful managers as far as longevity were those who did the least while still making the number. If a manager was outgoing, they made an immediate impact and was then fired within 6 months. Being hired on at Gibson is like being drafted into Vietnam. As soon as you step off the chopper, you are counting down the days until you either die (get fired) or complete your tour (quit). Management decisions are often the most peculiar imaginable. By directive of the CEO himself, GM's are often required to not pay any bills or purchase anything. Even wood for guitars! But you were still expected to make your number!!! Working in IT, Henry would decide on a whim crazy solutions to issues that didn't even exist. For instance, deciding that every computer in the company needs to have its IP address changed manually every two weeks. As an IT expert, I can assure that that accomplishes absolutely nothing!

Another problem at Gibson is inconsistent pay. If you are going to hire on, you had better get as much upfront as you possibly can, because you will never see a raise. Worse than this, many employees do jobs well above their pay grades, but if you try to ask for a raise, you are put off indefinitely (your raise is on Henry's desk) or counseled to be happy with what you have. Even worse than that, there are many instances of co-workers working side by side doing equal work but making very different pay. And by that I mean the difference between $30k and $100+k per year.

Overall, Gibson is a great place to work long enough to put on your resume and get a few guitars at a great discount, but it is NOT a place to make a career.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and treat them right because their talent is the only thing keeping you afloat.

Give and take away

Peon (Former Employee)
    Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Guitar full-time for less than a year

Pros: Nice people (who live in fear) Great guitars A great learning experience Cons: Talk about a place that could give 2 sh!ts less about all the accomplishments made by staff and offer raises only to take them away… Advice to Senior Management: Get a spine and tell the CEO what you really think. I know the economy is tough but you… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great people and a lot of opportunites

IT Analyst II - Corp (Current Employee)
    Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gibson Guitar full-time for less than a year

Pros: Great co-workers, awesome product, and a huge vision. Cons: There are people that carry a lot of negativity but… Advice to Senior Management: What I would like to see is a better forum internally to express… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Gibson Guitar.

Worked for Gibson Guitar? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gibson Guitar reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gibson Guitar CEO Henry E. Juszkiewicz. All reviews posted anonymously by Gibson Guitar employees.