Gilbane Building Company

Great CM Company

Current Employee - Intern in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Intern in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Gilbane Building Company

Pros

Great company with challenging projects.

Cons

Can be a tough working atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Keep obtaining challenging projects

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Good Experience

Former Employee - Intern in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Intern in Laurel, MD

I worked at Gilbane Building Company

Pros

Helpful personal skill development - goals are set before internship and reviewed later. Employees are dedicated and work hard. Tons of training opportunities.

Cons

Requires assertive personality at times to continue to be challenged in your work - but then again, CM work isn't particularly innovative.

Advice to Management

Keep staying in touch with new technology

Insider competent seasoned employee laid off last year after being praised for great work on many previous projects.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

I worked at Gilbane Building Company

Pros

Very knowledgeable and professional employees. Family atmosphere. Gilbane University knowledge sharing center.

Cons

When times are hard, you never know when you will be laid off, and a young kid hired in your place for a low salary. To me, this kind of philosophy does not make too much sense, but anyway I have seen it happening at Gilbane. Senior construction professionals with 5-15 years under their belt were laid off and recent graduates were brought on site to continue their job, even without seasoned employee’s supervision.

Advice to Management

Do all you can to keep your best assets - your loyal competent employees. Even if times are hard, it still makes no sense to hire low competency recent graduates and to lay off your loyal hard working employees. You know very well that it takes years and years until a recent graduate can do the job of a 10-15 years construction industry veteran. Until last year, loyalty from the company towards employees was a big deal at Gilbane. It was said that if you work hard and you do your job honestly, you will not be laid off. In my opinion, this changed last year when I have seen the type of employees and how many Gilbane laid off. 90% of the ones I talked with, are already hired by other companies, but in the mean time they lost trust in the company they were loyal to for so many years.