There are newer employer reviews for Gilbarco

It is a very fast paced and the culture is not for all.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Gilbarco

Pros

Can be good to build resume for less experienced professionals.

Cons

It is a very sales and margin driven at the cost of other key things. Systems and technology are Old and antiquated. Employees are not seen as an asset.

Invest in your employees. Don't manage by exception.

34 Other Employee Reviews for Gilbarco (View Most Recent)

Started with promise, ended in utter disappointment

Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Gilbarco

Pros

The people in the trenches. They display great dedication and are willing to go beyond the call of duty, even though their management fails to recognize or acknowledge their efforts.

Cons

The management seems to have little skill and knowledge in knowing how to run software development projects. Also, they are content to allow the skills of their engineers to stagnate because they are unwavering in their commitment to old technology. They claim everything must be okay because the turnover rate is low. That's only because after you've been there for a period of time, your skills are no longer marketable, so you have no choice but to stay. Also, management just doesn't listen to the associates. They survey the associates yearly to, supposedly, determine our levels of satisfaction/dissatisfaction with them and the company. Never has anything been done about the results. Actually when they review the results with the associates, they spend the entire time trying to put a positive spin on very poor numbers. There are regular layoffs, at least 2 a year, sometimes 3 or 4. Almost always a layoff around Christmas time. I know I sound jaded, but I worked there for 10+ years and was one of the lucky ones to leave willingly for employment elsewhere. I'm just trying to help someone else avoid making a potentially career stagnating decision.

When I first went to work for Gilbarco, the reputation as an innovative and technology-oriented company was firmly intact and justified. That has waned over the years and you have done nothing about it. Also the morale of your people is at an all time low and again you do nothing about it. I have never worked in an environment where there was such a lack of respect both ways. The associates tell you every year how unhappy they are in the yearly survey. For once, actually listen and make some truly serious and positive changes. They only want to know that you care about them as much as you do your bottom line. I realize the parent company Danaher is all about the bottom line, but I assure you if you take care of these people better than you do today, your bottom line will only get stronger. You have some very talented people. Give them the chance to show their talent and wow you. Yes it will cost you some money up front, but the long term gains will be worth it. You have to realize allowing your associates to stagnate is not a recipe for success in the long run.

Overloaded with no true focus

Current Employee - Engineer in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Engineer in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Gilbarco

Pros

Heavy work load structure forces individual to quickly learn how to prioritize and resolve conflicts.
    Constant Feedback about ones performance (please see cons)
    Tons of opportunities to participate and gain experience in Kaizens (see cons)

Cons

Focuses primarily on negative feedback - no what you are doing wrong but never know what you are doing right.
    Kaizens are held twice a month - looks like having a kaizen for the sake of having a kaizen
    Focuses to much on little things and not enough on the big winners
    No definition to roles and responsibilities
    only rewards those with certain degrees
    unrealistic stretch target oriented

If you really want to retain associates and keep turn over low, provide bettr incentives, keep conflict manageable, establish explicit and realistic expectations. Be more careful with objectives, you will drive the wrong behavior from your employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Gilbarco