There are newer employer reviews for Gilead Sciences

Hmmm You want to work for Gilead

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

401k, Health insurance, Bagel Wednesday, Happy Hour Friday. Great co workers !!

Cons

Who should get a job here:
a) Recent college graduates who want to work their ass of to learn from their peers. Rumor is that there are so many job vacancies here that they are just filling up positions.
b) Employees who want to dedicate their life to Gilead and be ok with the 3% inflation raise you get for working hard through out the year. I mean come one its all got to be work

If you want a life other than spending your time at work than you better run for the next option.

Company makes some great products and the employees work their ass of here. Most managers here suck. They lack the basic skills of mentoring their employees and who is to blame .. the employee.

Salaries are below industry average in the bay area and recruiters find it hard to get candidates so just hire any candidate.

Its 2012 for gods sake. Stop thinking like it is 1980 and make changes happen. Dont wait for 20 years. If not you will end up just like the republican party.

180 Other Employee Reviews for Gilead Sciences (View Most Recent)

Overworked Blame Game Company

I worked at Gilead Sciences full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only pros to this company were the retirement benefits.

Cons

There is minimal delegation of work to where the employees are overworked. Pointing fingers is a common trade where the he said she said game comes into play. Terrible. I might also add that this is not the company to work for if you would like to get promoted. Unless you are already coming in as a manager, know someone in HR or are close friends with a manager you will not get promoted.

The management team needs to work more efficiently with their employees on their goals throughout the year and not just during the review period. They need to work more as a team with their employees instead of blaming them for their mistakes just to look good.

Good if you own over a million dollars in Gilead stock options but otherwise beware

I worked at Gilead Sciences full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Financially Stable
    Nice HQ campus
    Free bagels once a week
    Nice gym facility
    Happy hour most Fridays

Cons

Seems the happiest people at Gilead are the ones that own stock options worth a million or two or more. I would tolerate a lot if I was in that situation too. For the rest of us 97% of former and current Gilead employees, the situation is not a happy. For starters,
    1. As mention on other reviews, Gilead does like to run lean on resources, this would not be a bad thing in itself if management reward job performance other than the cost of living pay increases every year. I think the employee handbook mentioned something about a work/life balance but I really believe management has their own version of the employee handbook that states 99% work and 1% life balance.
    2. My observation of management it seems, incompetent managers seem to keep their jobs if they know how to play the Gilead culture game, work your subordinates to the bone and keep the bottom line lean. I really think that maybe about 70% of the managers at Gilead lack people management skills or have none at all.
    3. Some of the review that state Gilead does not perform employee surveys are wrong, they have done 2 company wide company and management surveys since I've been there, although that's 2 surveys in the over 8 years I've been with the company. Executive management knows there is a morale issue lately and have conducted the surveys in attempts to say "hey, we care and listen to you!". The results of the surveys were not that flattering for executive and upper management.
    4. It seems that every time senior director or vice president joins the company from outside of Gilead, people lose their jobs because new management wants to "bring in their own people". You have more of a chance of being struck by lightening then losing your job because of a direct result of the company's financial condition. I've seen a lot of people lose their job or forced out because management wanted to clean out and bring in a "new crew".
    5. Company culture is very strange to me. Gilead is a very successful in what Gilead does, brings successful drugs to the market, makes tons of money and makes investors happy most of the time but Gilead's company culture is like a start up or a struggling company because of the "we like to run a lean company" = many people wear many hats and you are expected to perform outside of your job responsibilities many times. This related to the work/life balance point I made earlier. There are many pluses to running lean and in certain situations, it's almost a requirement but Gilead either knows it's employees are suffering in the work/life balance area or Gilead is way more concerned about reporting to stock holders that management is running a "tight ship", music to investors ears.

The reason I rated only 2 starts is because the ratio between pros and cons is in the cons favor.

Please make more of an effort to listen to your subordinates and encourage a culture of an open door policy. I've seen so many managers at Gilead when they are first hired state "my door is always open" but when it comes time to really listening to what the worker bees are saying, it "goes in one ear and out the other". Gilead really does have the potential to be a great place to work and even retire from but management's concerns are with stock holders and not employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Gilead Sciences