There are newer employer reviews for Gilead Sciences

Good company with high expectations

Current Employee - Mid-Level Manager in Foster City, CA
Current Employee - Mid-Level Manager in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting and important products, smart and friendly coworkers, and high standards for work performance which I think is important for a company's success. In my experience, salaries are slightly above industry average, and the stock grants have gained in value.

Cons

I agree with others that the workload can be very high, and result in no work/life balance. No work from home policy.

Advice to Management

Senior leadership should take time to talk to the people who do the hands on work - they have a lot of insight as to what's going on, and how decisions play out. Ask around some before making an important decision. I'm a mid-level manager, and I see a big gap between the people above me & the people below me on the org chart.

reviews filtered by

hard driving, results oriented

Current Employee - Director in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company strives to be the best in its field, while not always on course, eventually does make corrections

Cons

Have to be "in the network" to be appreciated

Advice to Management

Walk around office to office more, give reports coaching on how to deal with senior management, then give them exposure

No Work/Life Balance

Former Employee - Manager in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Foster City, CA

I worked at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Great products
    * Good people at the individual contributor level
    * Good benefits: 401-K, gym, cafeteria, happy hour Fridays, van pool, etc.
    * Ideal for someone right out of college with a lot of drive that doesn't mind putting in 60+ hour weeks to get a fair amount of experience.

Cons

* Extremely heavy work load plus a large amount of vacancies means that 1 person is usually doing the job of 2-3 people. Not unusual to see people in the office past 7pm on Friday night. Very little reward or recognition for such work as it becomes the new norm.
    * Constant reorganizations combined with vacancies make it extremely difficult to maintain any momentum.
    * Gilead is a data-driven company for better or worse. Most people promoted into managerial positions are promoted for their technical skills instead of their managerial skills. Most managers seem ill-equipped with the interpersonal and management skills to be effective leaders and the company does little to reprimand or correct such behaviors.