There are newer employer reviews for Gilead Sciences

Never a dull moment!

Current Employee - Manager in Foster City, CA
Current Employee - Manager in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Extremely fast-paced, many opportunities to learn new things and participate on projects/teams outside of your purview. Promotions sometimes don't come soon enough, but always thoughtfully considered and in line with company needs. I work with a group of people always willing to roll up their sleeves and help where needed.

Cons

Extremely fast-paced. Sometimes feel like there aren't enough hours in the day to get things done.

Keep up the good work!

182 Other Employee Reviews for Gilead Sciences (View Most Recent)

Excellent experience at a great company!

Former Employee - Packaging Engineer
    Former Employee - Packaging Engineer

I worked at Gilead Sciences as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Working at Gilead, I had the best boss I've ever had. He was always patient and willing to help me learn the new field I was just starting.

Cons

Some of the upper management were tactless and had the tendency to call people out publicly for their weight at large meetings.

Training contractors is an investment that is wasted when they leave the company for more stable employment, taking the knowledge and experience with them. Please consider hiring your contractors full time.

Work Hard, Learn Lots, Then Find Another Company That Will Pay You What You're Worth

Former Employee - Senior Research Associate
    Former Employee - Senior Research Associate

I worked at Gilead Sciences full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- aggressive environment convinces employees to eliminate their social lives , commit themselves entirely to the company, and wait for their stock options to vest before hurrying to the next better-paying job

Cons

- refusal to hire contractors in order to avoid paying out the recruiters and committing to full-time employee benefits
    - very low salary compensation compared to other comparable companies
    - bonuses and raises are practically negligible
    - micro-management from managers who are overworked and not fit to manage people
    - unprofessional upper-management not interested in contributing to a positive or nurturing work environment whatsoever
    - the poison of politics lurks heavily in every department

- take several courses on how to manage people before joining the Management team

There are newer employer reviews for Gilead Sciences