There are newer employer reviews for Girl Scouts USA

Low morale

Former Employee - Program Assistant  in  Ventura, CA
Former Employee - Program Assistant in Ventura, CA

I worked at Girl Scouts USA

Pros

Well-known company. Always get a "ooh wow" when you say you work at Girl Scouts. The mission of building leadership characteristics in girls is great.

Cons

No one seemed very happy to be there. The office isn't lively at all. I always felt a disconnect between the company's mission and what actually takes place.

Remember why Girl Scouts was started!

192 Other Employee Reviews for Girl Scouts USA (View Most Recent)

Avoid Girl Scouts of Middle TN

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Girl Scouts USA

Pros

I am a lifetime member of the Girl Scouts, and you should be too. The organization's dedication to the girls is amazing. The girls are encouraged to do things for themselves, including the fact that they raise 80% of the local council's operating funds. The salary for the Middle TN chapter is competitive compared to other local (TN) non-profits. The hours are family-friendly. Another big benefit is that they were willing to negotiate comp time after you've put in a grueling 80 hour week. (A lot of non-profits are stingy with comp time) Each local chapter has it's own management, so you may find a very different work environment in different states. Also (true of most non-profit jobs) many amazing co-workers.

Cons

I can only speak of the Middle TN chapter (gsmidtn.org):
    Job description was a joke. Was given a written job description that sounded challenging, but then told not to do most of the items in the job description. (Example job description said my position would run one of the advisory committees that advises the Board of Directors. But there was no committee in place and I was not allowed to form one, nor was I or the other staff welcome at Board meetings.) I should have crossed everything off the job description that sounded like a fun challenge. But the day-to-day boring parts were true!

Management team is very unstable: All the employees report to 5 or 6 leaders of senior management. The structure was constantly being adjusted when I was there such that I had 3 different supervisors my first year. The reason for the constant adjustments was the high level of dysfunction represented on the sr. management team. Turnover in the lower echelons was and is still constant due to turbulence and dysfunction above. Good people won't stay amid constant drama.

Benefits pkg is NOT competitive with other non-profits. There is no savings matching in place.

Due to the nature of the organization, I suppose, there are a few employees who are very anti-male and clearly work there to avoid men. Instead of management squashing this and pointing out that Pro-female is NOT the same thing as Anti-male... it is ignored and allowed to persist. It is very negative and made it impossible to plan the wonderful father-daughter programs that I loved when I was in Girl Scouts.

Efficiency is not consistent with modern technology and mistrust of employees is a waste of resources. In order to go buy $40 worth of program supplies for a program that is a) listed on the calendar and web site and b) has an approved budget, an employee must calculate the exact cost to the penny of the supplies, turn in a Purchase order and have it signed by 2 supervisors. Having worked at other non-profits, and understanding the money and accountability is important, I asked if I could go purchase the materials as long as I didn't exceed my budgeted $40. No. So I would spend an hour on web sites finding out the exact cost of compasses and paints and snacks so I could get my purchase order signed. What a waste of time and talent.

GSUSA: Ask questions in Middle TN. Why is the turnover so high? Ask the employees why certain departments have a maximum tenure of 1 or 2 years.

wonderful organization - personally & professionally rewarding

Current Employee - Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA

Pros

- amazing work-life balance
    - supportive team & company culture
    - great cause

Cons

- not for profit compensation
    - no 401k at the moment & no pension
    - no tuition reimbursement

If you would like to develop your staff, then you need to institue tuition reimbursement programs.

There are newer employer reviews for Girl Scouts USA

Worked for Girl Scouts USA? Contribute to the Community!