Girl Scouts USA

www.girlscouts.org
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Girl Scouts USA

I had a great experience during my internship at Girl Scouts on Staten Island.

Former Intern - Hispanic Outreach Intern in Staten Island, NY
Former Intern - Hispanic Outreach Intern in Staten Island, NY

I worked at Girl Scouts USA as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone was super friendly and helpful
The work was fun and engaging
I got to meet a lot of people in the community and attend a lot of community events
They really care about the difference they are making in girls' lives
Flexible schedule (changed depending on events we had to attend, and my school schedule)

Cons

No true cons
I only worked here for a short time, but I thought it was a great place to work

They should offer more internships to college students, it would be a great advantage to both sides.

226 Other Employee Reviews for Girl Scouts USA (View Most Recent)

Courage, Confidence, and Character - but only for the girls

Former Employee - Membership Specialist At Local Council in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Membership Specialist At Local Council in Omaha, NE

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The girls are truely transformed from their Girl Scout experience. It's amazing to be a part of that as a staff member. Also, the workerbee staff are such amazing women. I've made life long friends with my office mates.

Cons

As a former membership specialist, the writing was on the wall shortly after realignment. There was a push from the top that girls be recruited no matter the cost. Volunteers where short changed, programming wasn't up to the task of supporting girls without troops and time marched on.

Bring us to today and now all the girl scouts that were recruited through one time events at the expense of volunteer recruitment has hit the wall. Now membership is in steep decline across the state and key volunteers stopped volunteering because the experience wasn't fun anymore because of all the additional bureaucracy.

My team was ripped apart and individual goals became more important than team goals resulting in bad culture in the office. Everyone felt overwork and executive staff just didn't care. Feedback from staff was discouraged and openly hostile to staff with "courage, confidence, and character". They wanted staff to be compliant and just do as they were told. I have never worked in such a hostile environment.

The worst part is that staff feel like they can't say anything ever to improve the working situation because it may hurt girl membership. Well....girl membership is hurting anyways.

It's time for a new CEO and a back to basics approach. Believe in your staff and believe in girl scout volunteers. Stop actually like a bureaucracy and allow staff and volunteers the ability to do what they do best, engage girls in the greatest girl organization in the country. It breaks my heart to look at the membership numbers and thinking about all the missed opportunities for the girls.

You keep losing amazing staff (which always is followed by a drop in membership) because of extremely stressful and unhappy working conditions.

Worked there over 20 years

I worked at Girl Scouts USA

Pros

The mission of empowering girls is important and is at the heart of the organization and its councils across the country.

Cons

The work-life balance is non-existent. There were entire weeks when I couldn't be sure of when I would get home. There is no respect for individuals, neither their time or knowledge.

Walk the talk and model the culture and values. Have respect for those who have been there before you, not just the staff you hire.

There are newer employer reviews for Girl Scouts USA