Glassdoor

www.glassdoor.com
  www.glassdoor.com
There are newer employer reviews for Glassdoor

Glassdoor.com.....an awesome work at home opportunity!!

Current Employee - Analyst in Canton, OH
Current Employee - Analyst in Canton, OH

I have been working at Glassdoor

Pros

The ability to work remotely, at home with non-scheduled hours....therefore, there is a great work / life balance!!
This is the best work at home opportunity that I have found that is truly legitimate!!!
The salary and PTO are above average, as well as the amount of paid holidays that are offered to part time employees as well as full time employees.
Career advancement is huge since this is a start-up company that is growing rapidly.
Management is approachable and willing to help grow and advance employee careers.
Also, often times we are asked for our opinions to help improve the experience of glassdoor.com for the user....it makes me feel like management respects my opinon.
Finally, I have found that it is fun reading about other people's experiences all day....sometimes I forget that I am actually working!!

Cons

I guess the biggest thing would be working 7 days a week to keep up with all of the data.
Also, the work can be monotonous somedays doing the same "type" of analyzing for hours on end.
Sometimes working remotely causes a lack of communication and a lack of team feeling. There is also not alot of feedback about job performance because of the lack of daily interaction with management.
Finally, working from home is great, but not seeing other people can sometimes make you crazy!!!!

Keep up the great work!! So far this has been a great opportunity.....keep making changes as necessary to make the website easy to navigate and search.

143 Other Employee Reviews for Glassdoor (View Most Recent)

A new standard for what a startup should be.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor

Pros

This is my third San Francisco-area startup company. My first was sold to Novell, the second was sold to Macromedia. I thought I understood how successful startups are run.

Glassdoor sets a new standard. These guys really know what they're doing, and understand what makes a company successful. I've learned new ways of thinking here, not just about coding, but also by watching our CEO and the VP of Marketing. They do things I would never have thought of doing. (This is the first marketing person for whom I've ever felt any respect!) Any startup is a gamble, but working with these guys gives me a lot of confidence that we will succeed.

Both the CEO and VP of Engineering value individual contributors and creativity, and will let you know it. If you just want to code, and do it well, you'll be appreciated for that.

The quality of our work life is great. The company is headquartered in beautiful Sausalito, California. Our offices are a block from the water, and 1/2 mile from kayak rentals. We can watch the fog come in over the mountains. On Friday afternoons we open beer and wine and sip while working at our desks and listening to music, which we all take turns D.J.'ing off an iPod.

While it's a bit of a jock atmosphere, the company is gay-friendly. (We're just north of San Francisco, after all.)

Cons

Since this is a small company, there is limited opportunity to learn from your colleagues... If you're not comfortable going out and doing some research, you probably won't fit in here. Likewise, you need to be fairly self-directed. Everyone has to be willing to step into different roles, if necessary, so you might end up doing something onerous like PERL scripting, but these kinds of things are always temporary.

On occasion, you'll put in long hours. (I've put in a lot of 10-hour days, and occasionally a 12-hour day.) These are voluntary, and I've never seen anyone pressured to work late. People just understand that hard work now will (hopefully) lead to compensatory rewards later.

The company is currently a boy's club, and needs some female employees desperately. (I think that everyone realizes we need more balance.) I'm hoping that a year from now this will no longer be the case.

Remember that corporate culture is set when a company is young. Remember that people process data in different ways; some are analytical, and some are more intuitive. Both work, just differently. Remember that if we develop an incredible application that people have fun using, the profits will come naturally.

Passionate, respectful and proud

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor

Pros

First and foremost is the excitement of building something that will make a difference. In my career, it's generally been easy to be proud of the work I've done, but being proud of what my company does has been less common. The opportunity to take everything I've learned and apply it in a way that helps myself, my co-workers, and our site's visitors is nice -- being recognized and appreciated for the work I do is even better. The team is passionate and respectful, which is a perfect combination for a happy and productive work environment.

Cons

There are the standard pains of building a brand new functional product (and everything to support it) under an accelerated schedule, but the biggest downside is the location -- I miss being able to ride the train to work every day.

There are many options for growth, including some we may not have considered yet. We have a strong team -- working together, I'm sure we can go in the right direction.

Glassdoor Response

Aug 25, 2014Sales

Thank you for our first review!

There are newer employer reviews for Glassdoor