Glassdoor

www.glassdoor.com
There are newer employer reviews for Glassdoor

A wonderful start-up with great people and interesting challenges

Current Employee - Lead Web Developer in Sausalito, CA
Current Employee - Lead Web Developer in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor

Pros

I was the second non-founding employee at Glassdoor, so I've been here since the beginning. Clearly it's working for me. The management is some of the best I've worked with, and I've worked in tech for quite a long time. They're not just great at what they do, either. They're genuinely fun people.

I consider myself a code artist. (I'm not nearly as douchey as that sounds.) I find that Glassdoor continues to maintain my interest with the challenges of developing the site. I'm continuously learning new things, which makes me very happy.

The office environment is for the most part an open floor plan. No soul-deadening cubicles, just a bunch of desks. As a web developer, I'm face-to-face with our designer, which works very well. People can simply turn around and ask questions of other team members. It's a very interactive environment, and I like that. The folks who have chattier jobs, like Business Development, our lawyer, and the head of marketing all have private offices, which also works well. We don't have to listen to them talking on the phone all day.

The office kitchen is heavily stocked with an assortment of soft drinks, unhealthy snacks, and fresh fruit. There is also beer and wine on Friday afternoons and with the occasional barbecue on our expansive deck. Employees take turns playing disk jockey on the office stereo. The office has an entire wall of windows looking out onto the Sausalito hills. And the water is only a block away. Overall, the office lifestyle is pretty darned good.

Cons

The downside of constantly being challenged is that I'm usually exhausted at the end of the day. If I have a social event right after work, it takes me about an hour to recover from my 'code coma' and be able to make decent conversation.

Our site needs to work on Internet Explorer. Any web developer will read that and start shaking their heads in sympathy. Everyone else should just stop using IE and switch to Firefox, Chrome, or Safari. Please? You'll be glad you did.

The pay is on the low side, but there are the stock options, which hopefully will hugely make amends for that some day. Still, it would be nice to make a little more money. Every engineer knows that nice vacations and the latest electronic gadgets are a great cure for burn-out. :-)

Though the company is fairly relaxed about vacation time, the 'official' 2 weeks seems pretty minimal. (Full disclosure: I believe we should get 4-6 weeks vacation, like the more-civilized Europeans. But I'm not sure that would work in a start-up environment.)

As the company grows, pay attention to our corporate culture. Remember to care about user experience on our site. Keep our users informed and delighted, and they'll swarm to the site. All of the revenue-generating metrics (page views, etc) will follow.

155 Other Employee Reviews for Glassdoor (View Most Recent)

Enjoying working for Glassdoor

Current Employee - Reviewer in Zanesville, OH
    Current Employee - Reviewer in Zanesville, OH

I have been working at Glassdoor

Pros

The biggest pro for me is that I get to work from home. I have lots of flexibility on which hours I work on a given day allowing me a great balance between work and my family. My coworkers and managers are friendly, helpful and patient. The compensation is very competitive.

Cons

The work can sometimes get very repetitive; but, being about to break up the hours helps with this. Working from home doesn't give you the work atmosphere where you could build some wonderful friendships; but, the advantages by far outweigh this small disadvantage for me.

Great job!

If you love start-up web companies, this is the place for you.

Current Employee - Vice-President in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Vice-President in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor

Pros

We're living the start-up dream. We're a small, nimble company that has the potential to make a big impact on people's lives.

First, I truly believe in the mission of the company - "help people make informed decisions about where they work." Work is important - it's where many people spend the most time, your salary has a big impact on the freedom you have in your life, etc. So helping people make good decisions about their work is important and valuable.

Second, the work environment is great. People respect each other. Each person truly contributes to making the company successful. Management (which I'm part of) is extremely open about how decisions are made and what our goals are. And there is a great energy that comes from everyone working together to achieve a shared vision.

We respect the importance of having balance in your life. We work hard, but people can always take time off when they want/need to. Often times people work extra but it's because they are excited to deliver results rather than because it's required.

And, people are compensated fairly. We have good salaries, extremely generous equity package and great benefits...especially for a startup - what startup do you know that had a 401K in the first year it existed?

Cons

We're prone to many of the drawbacks of a startup. Career opportunity is limited - with a 11 person company, there isn't a lot of room for promotion and taking on more senior roles. However, that is balanced with the opportunity for every person to have total ownership of his/her work and to play many roles so it's a great place to learn and grow.

There's also risk in a startup. We're fortunate to have enough capital to build the business, but any startup is riskier than an established company.

Stay focused. Any successful business is built based on many, many, many correct decisions in a row. So far we've made some good ones, but we need a lot more good decisions to make this business successful.

There are newer employer reviews for Glassdoor