Glassdoor
www.glassdoor.com Sausalito, CA 150 to 499 Employees

A new standard for what a startup should be.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor

ProsThis is my third San Francisco-area startup company. My first was sold to Novell, the second was sold to Macromedia. I thought I understood how successful startups are run.

Glassdoor sets a new standard. These guys really know what they're doing, and understand what makes a company successful. I've learned new ways of thinking here, not just about coding, but also by watching our CEO and the VP of Marketing. They do things I would never have thought of doing. (This is the first marketing person for whom I've ever felt any respect!) Any startup is a gamble, but working with these guys gives me a lot of confidence that we will succeed.

Both the CEO and VP of Engineering value individual contributors and creativity, and will let you know it. If you just want to code, and do it well, you'll be appreciated for that.

The quality of our work life is great. The company is headquartered in beautiful Sausalito, California. Our offices are a block from the water, and 1/2 mile from kayak rentals. We can watch the fog come in over the mountains. On Friday afternoons we open beer and wine and sip while working at our desks and listening to music, which we all take turns D.J.'ing off an iPod.

While it's a bit of a jock atmosphere, the company is gay-friendly. (We're just north of San Francisco, after all.)

ConsSince this is a small company, there is limited opportunity to learn from your colleagues... If you're not comfortable going out and doing some research, you probably won't fit in here. Likewise, you need to be fairly self-directed. Everyone has to be willing to step into different roles, if necessary, so you might end up doing something onerous like PERL scripting, but these kinds of things are always temporary.

On occasion, you'll put in long hours. (I've put in a lot of 10-hour days, and occasionally a 12-hour day.) These are voluntary, and I've never seen anyone pressured to work late. People just understand that hard work now will (hopefully) lead to compensatory rewards later.

The company is currently a boy's club, and needs some female employees desperately. (I think that everyone realizes we need more balance.) I'm hoping that a year from now this will no longer be the case.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that corporate culture is set when a company is young. Remember that people process data in different ways; some are analytical, and some are more intuitive. Both work, just differently. Remember that if we develop an incredible application that people have fun using, the profits will come naturally.

Passionate, respectful and proud

QA Engineer (Current Employee)
Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor

Pros: First and foremost is the excitement of building something that will make a difference. In my career, it's generally been easy to be proud… Cons: There are the standard pains of building a brand new functional product (and everything to support it) under an accelerated… Advice to Senior Management: There are many options for growth, including some we may not have considered yet. We… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Talented people all on a clear mission and having fun on the way

Senior PR Manager (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for less than a year

Pros: Glassdoor is unique - certainly in my experience. There is a tangible vibe around the office where you can feel that something big is happening… Cons: There are no real cons other than the fact that I am currently the only person at Glassdoor outside of the U.S. and therefore have… Advice to Senior Management: Just keep doing what you are doing, but let's grow… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Glassdoor.

Worked for Glassdoor? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor – Why Work for Us?

Do you believe that work matters? We do. In fact, we obsess over helping people find jobs that are the right fit for them. BECAUSE WHERE YOU WORK MATTERS! Our mission is to become the world’s largest and most trusted… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Glassdoor reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman. All reviews posted anonymously by Glassdoor employees.