Glassdoor

www.glassdoor.com
  www.glassdoor.com
There are newer employer reviews for Glassdoor

An open environment. Perhaps too open.

Current Employee - QA Lead in Sausalito, CA
Current Employee - QA Lead in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor

Pros

Management is smart. Every move is analyzed and deliberate, and there have been few mistakes. There is a lot of transparency -- everyone knows where we are, where we've been, and where we're going.

The team works hard and has delivered some impressive releases -- nearly always on-time, and often with only minor fire-fighting after the fact.

The working environment is very open. Most of the engineering team is in a large space with no walls, so communication can happen at any time and everyone has the opportunity to overhear something that may impact what they're doing.

Cons

The open environment is a mixed blessing. If you don't like others' taste in music, or if watching "The Office" makes you cringe, you'd better be comfortable with headphones. Hardly a day goes by without my hearing something that I'd have preferred not to have heard (often in the "music" category, but every once in a while an off-topic comment will slip by) and some days it really affects my productivity.

Hire more women. When we launched this site, we were all very focused on our work. In the time since then, we've hired a number of new people (mostly men, at least at the main office) and we've relaxed somewhat. On the days when either or both of the women are working from home, it can show.

149 Other Employee Reviews for Glassdoor (View Most Recent)

Glassdoor Review

Current Employee - Content Moderator in Canton, OH
    Current Employee - Content Moderator in Canton, OH

I have been working at Glassdoor

Pros

-Work at home
    -Flexible hours
    -Great balance of home life and work life
    -Great people to work with
    -Interesting work
    -Proud to be part of a growing company

Cons

-Can be isolating working at home
    -Can be hard to balance work/home at times
    -Benefits for part time

I know being a small company can be challenging to keep up with growth but eveyone is doing a great job!

A wonderful start-up with great people and interesting challenges

Current Employee - Lead Web Developer in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Web Developer in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor

Pros

I was the second non-founding employee at Glassdoor, so I've been here since the beginning. Clearly it's working for me. The management is some of the best I've worked with, and I've worked in tech for quite a long time. They're not just great at what they do, either. They're genuinely fun people.

I consider myself a code artist. (I'm not nearly as douchey as that sounds.) I find that Glassdoor continues to maintain my interest with the challenges of developing the site. I'm continuously learning new things, which makes me very happy.

The office environment is for the most part an open floor plan. No soul-deadening cubicles, just a bunch of desks. As a web developer, I'm face-to-face with our designer, which works very well. People can simply turn around and ask questions of other team members. It's a very interactive environment, and I like that. The folks who have chattier jobs, like Business Development, our lawyer, and the head of marketing all have private offices, which also works well. We don't have to listen to them talking on the phone all day.

The office kitchen is heavily stocked with an assortment of soft drinks, unhealthy snacks, and fresh fruit. There is also beer and wine on Friday afternoons and with the occasional barbecue on our expansive deck. Employees take turns playing disk jockey on the office stereo. The office has an entire wall of windows looking out onto the Sausalito hills. And the water is only a block away. Overall, the office lifestyle is pretty darned good.

Cons

The downside of constantly being challenged is that I'm usually exhausted at the end of the day. If I have a social event right after work, it takes me about an hour to recover from my 'code coma' and be able to make decent conversation.

Our site needs to work on Internet Explorer. Any web developer will read that and start shaking their heads in sympathy. Everyone else should just stop using IE and switch to Firefox, Chrome, or Safari. Please? You'll be glad you did.

The pay is on the low side, but there are the stock options, which hopefully will hugely make amends for that some day. Still, it would be nice to make a little more money. Every engineer knows that nice vacations and the latest electronic gadgets are a great cure for burn-out. :-)

Though the company is fairly relaxed about vacation time, the 'official' 2 weeks seems pretty minimal. (Full disclosure: I believe we should get 4-6 weeks vacation, like the more-civilized Europeans. But I'm not sure that would work in a start-up environment.)

As the company grows, pay attention to our corporate culture. Remember to care about user experience on our site. Keep our users informed and delighted, and they'll swarm to the site. All of the revenue-generating metrics (page views, etc) will follow.

There are newer employer reviews for Glassdoor