GlaxoSmithKline

Love this company

Former Employee - Project Manager in Raleigh, NC
Former Employee - Project Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at GlaxoSmithKline

Pros

Great place to work, great opportunities to interact globally

Cons

Manufacturing side is challenged right now

none

551 Other Employee Reviews for GlaxoSmithKline (View Most Recent)

A very professional, upbeat work environment that is visionary and technology forward

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline

Pros

Awesome benefits, great location, talented professional co-workers, great facilities, excellent salaries, good room for growth, top industry bonuses, still has pension plan

Cons

Too many layers of management, management hires outstanding performers but does not trust them to be knowledgeable enough to do their jobs, therefore some projects get stagnated because management has to be too deeply involved in even the smallest projects, decreased ability to work from home due also to management's lack of trust in motivated highly competent workforce.

Know that you hire the best. Admit that management isn't the expert on everything, which is why you hire the best, so that they can advise you and make decisions within their areas of expertise. Empower your employees and lower management. Being control freaks is the biggest threat to the GSK organization - it s slowing down progress on projects and frustrating employees and lower management. Make the organization flatter so that there aren't 4 levels of review and approval. Also, why move to the open space environment, then practically forbid folks to work from home? Shows further lack of trust that middle and upper management has in it's people, which is unfounded. Having worked at 2 others pharmas in the past, know that GSK's workforce is THE most talented, capable and committed. Maybe if management realizes this, we can move forward united to meet our goals.

Great flexibility, ability to work from home at least a few days per weeks, bad communication, overall not bad at all.

Current Employee - Principal Clinical Research Scientist in Collegeville, PA
    Current Employee - Principal Clinical Research Scientist in Collegeville, PA

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline

Pros

Flexibility, work from home (or remotely), most managers are not constantly over your shoulders, pretty good pay and benefits.

Cons

Due to flexibility very difficult to meet people face2face. Lot of CYA type activities due to matrix type organization. Sometimes I do not see my manager for weeks, this could be good and bad. Things that used to take 4 weeks at a smaller company, take about 2 to 3 months here because it's tough to get people together. Expect to work long hours and odd hours as parts of you team may be based all over the world and thus, late evenings for Australia meetings and Early AM for UK meetings. Management impliments processes without input from the folks who actually have to live with it. A lot of Knee Jerk Reactions. People are over worked.

Think before you act. In past 5 years, any new re-org or process has lasted less than 1 year. This is a sign that you are not thinking before taking any action. Sometimes major actions are announced, but the final result is hardly any different that the current situation..... basically no one has the guts to take a bold action, especially when it's necessary. We need more people, we are working very long hours to keep-up, this is not good in the long run.

There are newer employer reviews for GlaxoSmithKline