There are newer employer reviews for GlaxoSmithKline

A insider's view of GlaxoSmithKline from one who has worked in several departments

Current Employee - Business Analyst
Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline

Pros

In the IT sector, the benefits and pay at GSK are above the industry for people coming out of college and contractors. They advocate a work-life balance and encourage people to look after their health in addition to your performance. The people who work there are quite experienced and look out for one another.

Cons

GSK is a huge company with many departments so the bureaucracy can neutralize new ideas.

Each department has its own unique culture depending on the management so I've seen people who feel completely open and able to bring themselves to work while other departments, it can be quite stifling.

Pay and bonus is kept very secretive despite the move towards transparency. At times, it feels like the bonus and pay is more based on how long you've been at GSK and less based on business performance.

Recruitment tends to favor applicants with a pharmaceutical background. Unfortunately, that leads to the same type of thinking and ideas. New ideas are rarely introduced because if they fail, the bonus will also be affected.

The company is very risk adverse (rightfully so in certain areas because of regulatory reasons) but it spills over into areas that need not necessarily so.

Advice to Management

Empowerment needs to be demonstrated through ALL levels. The upper management may understand the roadmap and the strategies. The early adopters (usually at the analyst level) also are quick to adapt to new ways of working. But the managers in the middle who the early adopters work with every day, are sometimes not as quick to change and can dampen the spirit of change.

reviews filtered by
  1. Work for a good manager and life will be great at GSK

Current Employee - Scientific Communications Director in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline

Pros

high salary, generous benefits, many days of vacation, generous severance package

Cons

in some management situations you can't take advantage of work/life balance benefits, lack of leadership in mid-level management, the constant fear of job cuts as this industry continues to downsize

Advice to Management

listen to the new CEO Andrew Witty

GSK - great job with little security

Current Employee - Senior Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative in Richmond, VA

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline

Pros

I still feel that GSK offers the best products in their respected classes, and that makes it easy to sell a product and be proud and able to sleep at night. I never feel like I am persuading a doctor to do something that is not the best possible treatment. Aside from products, the health benefits are great, and you start with 3 weeks vacation plus year end shut down.

Cons

I never feel like my job is safe. Layoffs two years in a row, and there was very little correlation to success and to those who were let go.

Advice to Management

There are a million companies to work for in this industry. Keep the pay competitive and make me proud to work for GSK.