Good place to work.

Former Employee - Quality Specialist in Memphis, TN
Former Employee - Quality Specialist in Memphis, TN

I worked at GlaxoSmithKline

Pros

Excellent benefits, competitive salaries, and name recognition. They probably had the best benefits package of any employer I've worked for to date. Vacation time was good, and the year end shut down around the holidays was great. It's the second largest company in the industry, and I was proud to say that I worked for this company. If you are willing to relocate, the career opportunities are endless.

Cons

Poor communication from upper management downward. At my particular site, there was the constant threat of the facility closing. It was an older facility and not quite up to date in many ways as some of the other manufacturing sites.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people and communicate openly with them.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Transparency and empowerment are just words in the dictionary

Current Employee - Product Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline

Pros

The beneifts at GSK are a great incentive. I have yet to see a comparable benefits package from anyone in a pharmaceutical organization. The employee health management is incredible. There are many benefits available to GSK employees that assist in the work and personal life balance.

In most organizations, the dust has settled with re-organizations due to the current economic climate. For the organizations that have been addressed, employees understand their job objectives and the opportunity for advancement is within reach for the employees putting out the extra effort.

GSK also has incredible communication from Senior management to worker bee. Communications are constantly being distributed to employees regarding pipeline drugs and opportunities in the community.

Cons

Currently, there is a lot of bureaucracy at GSK. I would say this is specific to IT, but I hear this is an issue throughout all organizations. Our former CEO expressed how much he disliked all the barriers employees have to complete their tasks. A lot of legwork was performed to remedy this, and I feel the changing of Sr. Management has caused employees to feel less empowered. The bureaucracy still exists and in 11 years now, it has never been more visible.

Another downside would be the constant outsourcing efforts. Granted, there is a obligation to stockholders to maximize their investments. The effect that outsourcing has on employee performance and morale is off the chart. The environment used to be a family environment. It feels like a very selfish environment now.

Advice to Management

There is a huge promotion by the Sr Mgmt team for empowerment. My only comment would be to practice what you preach. The decisions that are made up above are not transparent as they are promoted, and employees for the most part still feel powerless in decision-making.

A insider's view of GlaxoSmithKline from one who has worked in several departments

Current Employee - Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline

Pros

In the IT sector, the benefits and pay at GSK are above the industry for people coming out of college and contractors. They advocate a work-life balance and encourage people to look after their health in addition to your performance. The people who work there are quite experienced and look out for one another.

Cons

GSK is a huge company with many departments so the bureaucracy can neutralize new ideas.

Each department has its own unique culture depending on the management so I've seen people who feel completely open and able to bring themselves to work while other departments, it can be quite stifling.

Pay and bonus is kept very secretive despite the move towards transparency. At times, it feels like the bonus and pay is more based on how long you've been at GSK and less based on business performance.

Recruitment tends to favor applicants with a pharmaceutical background. Unfortunately, that leads to the same type of thinking and ideas. New ideas are rarely introduced because if they fail, the bonus will also be affected.

The company is very risk adverse (rightfully so in certain areas because of regulatory reasons) but it spills over into areas that need not necessarily so.

Advice to Management

Empowerment needs to be demonstrated through ALL levels. The upper management may understand the roadmap and the strategies. The early adopters (usually at the analyst level) also are quick to adapt to new ways of working. But the managers in the middle who the early adopters work with every day, are sometimes not as quick to change and can dampen the spirit of change.