There are newer employer reviews for GlaxoSmithKline

Great global company. High % of contract "contingent workers" per employee.

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in King of Prussia, PA
Current Employee - IT Project Manager in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline

Pros

Great international Fortune 500 company. Better than average share of fair and well-meaning management. A top-tier pharmaceutical and consumer brand endeavor that is lean on funding, but not stingy.

Cons

If it stands still, it gets outsourced. So prevalent is the outsourcing that large meetings between business and IT can be made with real business-impacting decisions committed and only afterward that one notices that no actual employees were involved. Teleconferences involving four or five counties, time zones and accents are so common that you cease to realize that you are picking-up slang from the other side of the planet.

Advice to Management

The Nike model of "outsource everything that you can" is business sustainable for manufacturing. But you are also a powerful R&D company. Farming out everyone that supports your key knowledge employees directly and indirectly does save short-term and even some long-term TCO, making shareholders happy. But if you continue to erode your employee base, you continue to erode the number of workers that genuinely care about the success of GlaxoSmithKline. When this sinkhole finally erupts at the surface years from now you will wonder why everyone is "letter of the process" instead of "spirit of the company" when key initiatives that require nimble teamwork fall flat. There are only so many mergers that will staff off catastrophe that you can arrange. Try refocusing on building your company from within instead of without, before it is too late.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great company...miss it!

Former Employee - Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative

I worked at GlaxoSmithKline

Pros

great pay; if you work hard you'll be rewarded; high caliber of professionals on team; excellent ongoing training; excellent vacation and time off; can have work/life balance

Cons

I was laid off and despite that would rave about the company. I picked my poison so could expect that being the least tenured person on the team. I had a wonderful experience during my time there. I won a trip, made great money, felt proud of what I was doing. Yes, the cons...NO STABILITY. I agree. The morale is very low right now. Anyone who wants to get into pharma should wait. Get sales experience elsewhere copier, telecommunications, insurance, whatever...and come back when things look up. So cons, lack of stability, low morale, lack of motivation, no clear direction for professional development and growth, and most importantly, no sense of career advancement at all.

Advice to Management

-Keep goals and objectives attainable and realistic. Strive to keep morale high. Change compensation to be based on commission rather than bonuses. With commission you are compensated on whatever you set, rather than only making money when you hit goal.

2. It's what you make of it

Current Employee - Scientist in West Conshohocken, PA
    Current Employee - Scientist in West Conshohocken, PA

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline

Pros

it is a Convienient location close to major highways
    i have nice co-workers
    Credit union isexcellent
    you get discounts on consumer products

Cons

Complete lack of recognition of work or dedication from employees
    Still parts of "good old boy" network left at top
    can be long hours depending on project

Advice to Management

Put more value into your employees beyond the occasional memo or announcement. Bring back a bonus structure based on quality of work and not who you know in the company