Global Santa Fe Drilling Company

www.globalsantafe.com
  www.globalsantafe.com
There are newer employer reviews for Global Santa Fe Drilling Company

Nice pay, but senior management are a bit dense

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Global Santa Fe Drilling Company

Pros

GSF pays very well. They seem to have money to burn and spend on anything and everything. They have a 4.5 day work week which makes it nice to have every Friday afternoon off.

Cons

They pay well, but in return you are not allowed to question anything. Senior management speaks openly and negatively about each other. There would be no hesitation to threaten an employee with unemployment as a motivator.

Some members of management are there because they are slick like a used car salesman, not because they have talent. Take a look at each other and if someone seems to be smelling like a rose too much of the time you can count on it that they have pulled the wool over your eyes.

4 Other Employee Reviews for Global Santa Fe Drilling Company (View Most Recent)

Global Santa Fe -- In the Navy!

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Global Santa Fe Drilling Company

Pros

Technology. Off-Shore environment is interesting, challenge to keep data systems up and in communication and performant. Some good people. Offices instead of cubes. Bonuses. Oil and Gas.

Cons

Offshore rig based. Welcome back to 1990's modem (that's M-O-D-E-M) remote site culture in terms of pipe bandwith -- think 56.K modem, only NOW with high latency due to satellite bounce.

Run by old-salts, with a boat mentality. Arrrgh, ye matey! Do what I say or ye's walking-da-plank and gettin' off my boat!

As such mgmt style\culture is somewhat dicey. Good Ol' Boy mgmt with tendancy for Knee-jerk reactions and narrow minded thinking. When things come unglued, they can come undone in a big way. Watch how some here act and you'll see they are just trying to keep their tenure at any cost, including sacrificing ambition and dreams of others. New blood, new ideas and youth and dynamism is needed, however, revamping in this culture is gonna take a miracle. Maybe since TransOcean merger \ buyout they'll change, but at least 1 high-level mgr moved over as indicated on TransOcean web pages.

Don't get out-of-line, informants (CYA'ing) can be smiling at you but are snipers in disquise. You can tell them too, they are connected and ambigiously frightening. Be aware of the organizational dynamic, know the clique's and players and run with the banner! Be a Yes Man.

Once left, I heard of many people who've had bad experiences with GSF, mine was in IT Dept. I guess it wasn't personal.

Environment seemed very foreign to anyone whose not offshore, ex-military, or familiar with App Director's and CIO's (GSF's) style. Regimented and Inflexible. Image is everything. Stay in touch to survive. Yes man shop. Thin veneer. Very Politcal. Keep smiling.

Get genuinely involved and walk the talk. How about some understanding and opening your minds?
    Come up with better systematic way to track progress or projects. Stay involved. Mentor. Lead.

Not genuine

I worked at Global Santa Fe Drilling Company

Pros

When I was onboard Global Santa Fe rigs the pay was reasonable and the safety bonuses also made a difference.

Cons

Safety bonuses were paid only if no accidents were reported: People stopped reporting accidents (they still happened). If an accident was reported everyone on the rig lost their bonus resulting in massive pressure not to report them.

A just do it attitude. Dont question every day tasks onboard their rigs. They have a massive turnover of staff who question on the grounds of safety or other. If you question, you're gone.

Hypocracy. I watched toolpushers highlight during safety meetings things that shouldnt be done only to do them very things themselves half an hour later.

Example: "dont go down the hatch without a harness on". 5 minutes later I watched as the man who told me this went down without a harness.

Luckily for all, GSF has now been taken over by Transocean so the attitude will likely be better. This company however has a terrible safety record and those who created it are still there: even with a change of name.

Do what you say you do. Treat people with respect.

There are newer employer reviews for Global Santa Fe Drilling Company