Global Santa Fe Drilling Company

www.globalsantafe.com

Global Santa Fe -- In the Navy!

Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsTechnology. Off-Shore environment is interesting, challenge to keep data systems up and in communication and performant. Some good people. Offices instead of cubes. Bonuses. Oil and Gas.

ConsOffshore rig based. Welcome back to 1990's modem (that's M-O-D-E-M) remote site culture in terms of pipe bandwith -- think 56.K modem, only NOW with high latency due to satellite bounce.

Run by old-salts, with a boat mentality. Arrrgh, ye matey! Do what I say or ye's walking-da-plank and gettin' off my boat!

As such mgmt style\culture is somewhat dicey. Good Ol' Boy mgmt with tendancy for Knee-jerk reactions and narrow minded thinking. When things come unglued, they can come undone in a big way. Watch how some here act and you'll see they are just trying to keep their tenure at any cost, including sacrificing ambition and dreams of others. New blood, new ideas and youth and dynamism is needed, however, revamping in this culture is gonna take a miracle. Maybe since TransOcean merger \ buyout they'll change, but at least 1 high-level mgr moved over as indicated on TransOcean web pages.

Don't get out-of-line, informants (CYA'ing) can be smiling at you but are snipers in disquise. You can tell them too, they are connected and ambigiously frightening. Be aware of the organizational dynamic, know the clique's and players and run with the banner! Be a Yes Man.

Once left, I heard of many people who've had bad experiences with GSF, mine was in IT Dept. I guess it wasn't personal.

Environment seemed very foreign to anyone whose not offshore, ex-military, or familiar with App Director's and CIO's (GSF's) style. Regimented and Inflexible. Image is everything. Stay in touch to survive. Yes man shop. Thin veneer. Very Politcal. Keep smiling.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet genuinely involved and walk the talk. How about some understanding and opening your minds?
Come up with better systematic way to track progress or projects. Stay involved. Mentor. Lead.

Not genuine

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Global Santa Fe Drilling Company

Pros: When I was onboard Global Santa Fe rigs the pay… Cons: Safety bonuses were paid only if no accidents were reported: People stopped reporting accidents (they still happened). If an accident was reported everyone on the… Advice to Senior Management: Do what you say you do. Treat people with respect. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

No longer in business

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Port Fourchon, LA

I worked at Global Santa Fe Drilling Company full-time for more than a year

Pros: Having half the year off was nice. Cons: You have to live at work, tough on family. Advice to Senior Management: Advancement opportunities are very limited for minorities. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Global Santa Fe Drilling Company.

Worked for Global Santa Fe Drilling Company? Contribute to the Community!