Fantastic Organization

Former Employee - Projects Intern  in  Washington, DC
Former Employee - Projects Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at GlobalGiving as an intern for less than a year

Pros

GlobalGiving unites donors and nonprofits by creating a virtual marketplace for charities. It is committed continuous improvement, experimentation, and growth. Managers solicit feedback early and often and are interested in what you think. It's a fantastic working environment with space for employees to be entrepreneurial and to learn. GlobalGiving teaches employees what it really means to be customer-focused and transparent. is I loved my time at GlobalGiving.

Cons

Internships have been unpaid, which means that interns need to secure additional funding -- whether through borrowing from their futures by taking out additional loans, borrowing from their parents or loved ones, drawing down savings, or working a second job. Nonprofits everywhere face downward pressure in regards to labor compensation, and this one is no different. Additionally, it is not likely that interns will transition to full-time employment. Graduate students might want to consider interning somewhere with more room for career advancement.

Other Reviews for GlobalGiving

An extremely valuable internship experience at GlobalGiving

Former Employee - Partner Services Team Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Partner Services Team Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at GlobalGiving as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Interning at GlobalGiving was such a positive experience for me. This is an organization that embodies their values of "Always Open", "Never Settle", "Listen, Act, Learn. Repeat." and "Committed to WOW" exceptionally. I was given real work and responsibility, which as an intern isn't always the case, and felt like I contributed to my team in a meaningful way. The office atmosphere is open and fun due to everyone's enthusiasm, but also extremely productive as everyone here works with passion and drive. I left my internship having developed many new skills and truly satisfied with my time spent at GlobalGiving.

Cons

One of the downsides to this internship is that it is unpaid. However, they do offer a monthly stipend of $45 for travel expenses which I found very helpful.

In order to integrate interns quickly at the beginning of each internship, perhaps putting together an office lunch or happy hour would help interns get to know the full-time staff better from the get-go.

Incredibly rewarding internship experience at GlobalGiving.

Current Employee - Program Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at GlobalGiving full-time for less than a year

Pros

GlobalGiving staff are the best of the best. Working at this organization was a pleasure each day to be around such intelligent, forward-thinking, innovative, and passionate colleagues. They truly embody GG's core values: always open, committed to wow, never settle, listen/act/learn/repeat. As for being an intern, the staff really took the time to invest in training our cohort for success through a comprehensive orientation and ongoing learning opportunities (brown bags, special events, film screenings, etc.). Interns were given meaningful projects and played important roles in facilitating the smooth-running of GlobalGiving. I helped amazing people around the world to fund their incredible projects--an experience I will never forget!

Cons

The only downside is this is an unpaid internship.

I am so grateful for my experience at GlobalGiving and I really commend the management (and all staff members) for creating such a unique work culture. It's unlike anything else and I feel lucky to have been a part of it for a short time. My only suggestion would be to see if in the future you could arrange room in the budget for some type of small stipend for full-time interns. They really play important roles in helping to keep GlobalGiving up and running smoothly. It might be a greater incentive for applicants who'd love to work with the organization but cannot financially do so without pay.

There are newer employer reviews for GlobalGiving.

Worked for GlobalGiving? Contribute to the Community!